• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N Oil Filter

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought K&N Oil Filter HP2004 for my 91 4.0 as well as Royal Purple 10W30 and the Oil filter wont thread on... wtf... Checked a new fram I had laying around and it goes on just fine.. Just letting people know about my experiance because its obvoiusly the filter. Its a "race track grade" wrench on/off filter but I put a wrench on it and it still was way to tight for my liking so to possibly save a part malfunction with the oil filter adapter housing I didnt go any further because it feels like it was only going on about a half thread and getting wayyy to tight, felt like it was possibly cross threading, messed with it for 45 minutes before giving up and sadly throwing that fram on it..

You have been around for awhile, so I feel comfortable a**uming you have a developed set of skills.

You may have gotten a "box switched" part--it happens. Does the number on the box match the number on the filter? It could also be a screw up in manufacture.

Wix, NAPA Gold are great filters.

that sucks dude. it does sound like a filter problem. any chance of taking it back and swapping for another one? i have been running K&N oil filters on my jeep and the wifes Ranger for a while now with no problems as of yet. thanks for the heads up, i will keep an eye out

The NAPA Gold is the Affinia Wix -1085. K&N is a Mobil1 with a nut on the end. The Mobil's not a bad filter, it's just twice as much as the Wix.

I can verify the NAPA/Wix connection (it's printed right on the box), but the K&N/Mobil1 link is from teh interwebs.

The NAPA Gold is the Affinia Wix -1085. K&N is a Mobil1 with a nut on the end. The Mobil's not a bad filter, it's just twice as much as the Wix.

I can verify the NAPA/Wix connection (it's printed right on the box), but the K&N/Mobil1 link is from teh interwebs.

When you look up a filter on Wix's website is states right there the Wix AND NAPA name and part number--no secrets there.

Lots of filter information here: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html it is the internet so the usual disclaimers apply.

My bet - you got one that was box-switched, or maybe you ordered for the wrong year or someone put a later (or earlier) year motor/OFA into your XJ at some point. Didn't they change the OFA threads at some point? My 91 has a sticker on the firewall saying CAUTION NEW THREAD SIZE and I think the changeover was a mid-90, 90/91, or mid-91 one.

I also recall running into this a few times while working at Valvoline in high school. Older XJs took (iirc) a VO-31 or VO-33 filter, while newer ones took a VO-45, the same as most Dodges and Chryslers. Part of the AMC to Chrysler switchover I think.

Kastein is right, my 90 has a rectangular yellow sticker on the firewall that specifies a metric thread oil filter (I have, however, converted it to SAE). I'm not sure of the changeover date either. Seems that the OFAs had a few changes over the years too.

Yes, I believe HO is about the time that they made the switch from metric to SAE.
And as far as filters go, IMO the K&N and even the mobil1 filters are overpriced.
Napa Gold/Wix, Hastings, Baldwin.. even Bosch are all great filters and are sub-10$ range.

Kastein is right, my 90 has a rectangular yellow sticker on the firewall that specifies a metric thread oil filter (I have, however, converted it to SAE). I'm not sure of the changeover date either. Seems that the OFAs had a few changes over the years too.

I think Renix is metric and HO is SAE.:new:

Back