• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help on tires(IROKs)

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out what tires to get and I'm pretty set on IROKs, but am having a hard time choosing between a 36" and 37"(highlighted in the pic), as far as I can tell aside from the nearly 1 1/4" tread width difference(37" being the narrower), and price (37" is $10 more), I really don't the advantage of one over the other. Can anyone shine some light on the subject?

Picture1-3.png

It can't be bigger, wider, and lighter.......somethings wrong.

I'd check on the load range rating, for a tougher sidewall, and see what you find.

BTW, is Interco back making tires yet?

I've only checked a few places, but they all have both listed as a load range D.

Though OD for both the 36" and the 37" are the same, only the tread width of the 36" is wider. The chart above was taken directly from the Interco website, so it's the most correct info I know to find.
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=6&g=1

Not sure if they are still, but right around EJS I ordered a TrXus for my buddy as payment for work done, had to wait a couple of weeks, but it showed up.

the 36 and 37 are the same height and same plies but the 36 has a wider tread, and yet is still lighter than the 37? something doesnt sound right. maybe in the sidewall plies but still doesnt add up. i would say go with the 37's if you like narrower and 36's if the like the wide/short look. personally id go pizza cutter

I used to run the 36" bias Iroks and have a buddy who has the 37's, side by side my tires sat at least 1" taller then his at similar psi. I can't remember if he has the bias or radial version though. Other then that, the 36's seem to balloon out a lot more where as the 37's have more of a square profile.

I don't really want the pizza cutter, I would have went with a 37x12.5" for that look, but then again I don't want a short fat tire like the 35x14.5", I'm kind of leaning towards the 37" because I kind of think a 37x13.5 would be about right, not too narrow, not too wide, and the 36" seems to fit more into a 37x14.5 category, which makes me a feel might be a little sketchy on D44s.

I don't really want the pizza cutter, I would have went with a 37x12.5" for that look, but then again I don't want a short fat tire like the 35x14.5", I'm kind of leaning towards the 37" because I kind of think a 37x13.5 would be about right, not too narrow, not too wide, and the 36" seems to fit more into a 37x14.5 category, which makes me a feel might be a little sketchy on D44s.

IMHO they are both iffy on a D44. I ran the 36x13.50x15 bias IROK's for about 18 months. In that time I only got to wheel about 6 times. 3 of the times I broke something either in the D44 or the 9". That being said I did have 5.38 gears and a 203/205 set up. But if you run a tera low or somthing simular you are in the right ball park for what I ran. I do not call this getting into it either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTjmuFQxro I have noticed that the 36's listed on their site show as bigger tire then the 37's.

IMHO they are both iffy on a D44. I ran the 36x13.50x15 bias IROK's for about 18 months. In that time I only got to wheel about 6 times. 3 of the times I broke something either in the D44 or the 9". That being said I did have 5.38 gears and a 203/205 set up. But if you run a tera low or somthing simular you are in the right ball park for what I ran. I do not call this getting into it either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTjmuFQxro I have noticed that the 36's listed on their site show as bigger tire then the 37's.

And thats what gets me, I wheel with several TJs on 35"s with high and low pinion 30's, most all of them locked with stock shafts. Even run with this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/zeusbud8#p/u/7/QXQSCUXC6p4
Cummins B33, NSG370, 4:1, low pinion 30/8.8 with stock shafts

I won't be going to 5.38, but I will go 5.13 with a 231. I'm running Superiors in the rear already, with a Rubicon air locker, so they will be thick cut gears, I'm not too worried about the rear. I'm working on a HP44 front, trussed, narrowed, but will be running factory shafts to start with, until the need should come for alloys or RCVs(whichever I have the money for), but tires aren't going on till the axle does in.

I used to wheel with a few guys with IROKS on their TJ's, they both had 36's. One ran LP30 and D44 with ARB's and alloy shafts, the other was LP30 and super35, also with ARBS.

They weren't stupid heavy on the throttle, they did wheel a ton, and the IROKS did well. (The only breakage in the 2 years I wheeled with them was a D30 shaft. The super 35 lived on in another Jeep after the original owner put D44's in).

And thats what gets me, I wheel with several TJs on 35"s with high and low pinion 30's, most all of them locked with stock shafts. Even run with this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/zeusbud8#p/u/7/QXQSCUXC6p4
Cummins B33, NSG370, 4:1, low pinion 30/8.8 with stock shafts

I won't be going to 5.38, but I will go 5.13 with a 231. I'm running Superiors in the rear already, with a Rubicon air locker, so they will be thick cut gears, I'm not too worried about the rear. I'm working on a HP44 front, trussed, narrowed, but will be running factory shafts to start with, until the need should come for alloys or RCVs(whichever I have the money for), but tires aren't going on till the axle does in.

Jeremy's rig is Badass! Hopefully My cousin(who works with him) will have one in his TJ next! :D

Is Will your cousin? I was talking to Robert earlier this week and they had started on his, getting it ready to go. Pulled the 4.0 and sent the frame to get sand blasted and powder coated.
No Justin is my Cousin. The guy with the restored CJ. He just got his wife a TJ and put 33's on it. They have the cool Cummins job, I'm just a trained monkey! :D

Foothill Motorsports over on Pirate gave me a pretty good quote, (4) 36"x13.5"R17 IROK Bias $1088.00 shipped, and (4) 37X14.00-17LT Irok Bias $1130.00 shipped, thats about the price I've found for just the tires every where else.

Back