• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have 2 Hella 500's, want to add 1 or 2 more

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2 Hella 500's on my front bumper, and I'd like to add one or two more. I don't know much about wiring, but I think I can just splice the pigtails coming off the one(s) I want to add into the wire powering the other two (the wire that goes to the relay). Is that correct, or do I need to do something else?

you'll need to make sure everything "upstream" of the lights will be capable of powering them. For example, if the gauge of wire is too small, you might burn it up if you add additional lights on to it. Even if it doesn't actually catch fire, it might just make the lights run dimmer than they could (defeating the purpose of adding lights...)

my suggestion is to trace all of the wiring for the lights and write down the schematic then post it here.

You shouldn't run more than 2 lights on one relay. I suggest you wire up a second relay and have the switched side of the existing relay trigger it. That would be the simplest way.

You shouldn't run more than 2 lights on one relay. I suggest you wire up a second relay and have the switched side of the existing relay trigger it. That would be the simplest way.

I agree. Buy another pair and mount that switch next to the existing one. Or just get some lightforces, much better than the hellas on my old rig. :D

X2 on what the last two guys just did. I have 3 sets of hella 500's on my jeep. 4 on my roof rack and 2 on my bumper and each set runs off a diff switch. Its nice having it this way too because theres most time I dont use all 6 lights at once, but when I do, man I turn night into day lol. PM me if you have any questions wiring them up I can help ya out, Know quite abit about that kind of stuff.

Back