• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with 8.8 disk brakes

bruisednanner

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed a 8.8 disk brake axle in my wifes 90 xj it was in my 88 for 4 years and worked fine (i put 60's in mine) but now in hers i can't get any brakes to work on the rear i put new pads good rotors and can feel the calipers moving but it wont hardly stop any and all help apprecated

Calipers on the wrong side? Bleeder screw should be on the top.

Could be the MC too. It is REALLY hard to goof up that set up on the explorer brakes.

I'll admit I've never touched an 8.8, what don't I know?

There isn't really anything to know. If you can do Dana 30 brakes, you can do an 8.8 brake. It is just a basic disc brake design.

I suspect there might be another issue other than the rear brakes themselves. Could be the MC or the prop valve I would assume.

I have also seen idiots put the brake lines reversed from the prop valve to the master cylinder and the brakes sucked too. :doh:

There isn't really anything to know. If you can do Dana 30 brakes, you can do an 8.8 brake. It is just a basic disc brake design.

I suspect there might be another issue other than the rear brakes themselves. Could be the MC or the prop valve I would assume.

I have also seen idiots put the brake lines reversed from the prop valve to the master cylinder and the brakes sucked too. :doh:

Oh, I was thinking it was something to the effect of the left not bolting up to the right. Just ruling out the simple stuff first............:cool:

Oh, I was thinking it was something to the effect of the left not bolting up to the right. Just ruling out the simple stuff first............:cool:

No worries. Actually the left can bolt up to the right (and vice a versa)and you are right that the bleed screw can be wrong when doing that. I would assume that since it worked for 4 years preciously they were on their respective sides (right on the right;left on the left).

Question: are you still using the single-diaphragm booster of the 90? If so, you aren't getting near the brakes you could if you upgrade to the 95-96 dual diaphragm booster.

Back