• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can i run scout dana 44s???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so i know someone selling a set of dana 44s out of a 80 scout and im thinking of getting them for my 95 jeep cherokee, 4.0 aw4. np231 tc

im pretty sure they are around the same width the only problem is the front is passenger side drop instead of drivers side.

Im wondering how i can run these diffs on my XJ?

retube. Or run a d300. Scout front axles will require the knuckles to be cut and turned. Almost be better off taking a ford axle and cutting it down and runing the scout shafts.

retube. Or run a d300. Scout front axles will require the knuckles to be cut and turned. Almost be better off taking a ford axle and cutting it down and runing the scout shafts.

im guessing that has already been done as they are in a YJ now

he said all that would need to be done is mount brackets for coils and control arms..

so these would be slightly narrower then my stock axle width?

im guessing that has already been done as they are in a YJ now

he said all that would need to be done is mount brackets for coils and control arms..

so these would be slightly narrower then my stock axle width?

I would not assume he turned them, or had them turned. Going from a Scout to a yj depending on the pinion angle they could work without turning the c's. Yes I believe they are narrower.

If it were me, I'd find a different front axle and use the rear. I have a Scout 44 rear under my XJ and it's excellent. My friend also has one under his. He doesn't mind the very small difference of the axle width, but I have spacers on mine to have it match the front.
The spacers also enabled me to keep the same bolt pattern as my front dana 30.

How large of tires do you plan on running? I have 35s with the front 30 and rear 44, both locked, and they have performed flawlessly.

im not sure on size..im just trying to find a starting point for my project figued d44 or d60s are a good start and these scout diffs are availible..i think im going to hold of though..

thanks for all the info and help

To use the Scout II front you will need to change your transfercase to a Jeep D300.

I would be curious to know if the knuckles have been cut and turned on the front housing. Scouts have almost no caster (1980 had 2*, the rest had 0*) and the pinion is pointing downward. To rotate the pinion up, you need to have the knuckles cut loose and turned back. It can be done with a little work.

I ran Scout II D44 axles under a 1974 Scout with 4.10, lockers and 36" Swampers and they performed very well. Parts are easy to get and it is a simple axle to work on.

Back