• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is it to swap a motor?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I've never replaced a motor before...

I rolled my 96 4x4 AW4 XJ out wheeling, roof is caved in and rear axle is mangled like a noodle. Motor runs perfect.

I found a 96 4x4 AW4 XJ on craigslist with a blown motor for $700. The body looks to be in good shape, same year, color, and even has the Country package like mine does. I plan to offer $400 or $500 for it.

How hard would it be to swap motors and what tools would I need?

Never done one but am going to this summer soon. if its the same motor and tranny it will be easy. Just lable all the wires. Only big tools you need will be an engine lift and engine stand if you want to put the other engine in it.

X2 on the wires

the first thing I ever did other than an oil change was an engine swap into my '96 no special tools needed but an engine hoist helps a ton, also putting the tranny and engine at the same time will eliminate my biggest problem of shimmying the two together. Good luck

actually one special tool, a fuel line disconnect is needed, i'm still running flexible fuel pipe since I had to snap the hard line off.

doug

If you are prepared and if you have at least 1 more person it is a weekend job.

If you are by yourself and not prepared...plan on 3-4 days.

Take your time. PITA but not bad other than it's an engine and it's heavy.

If you have AC, you will need the larger size quick disconnect fitting tools to get the condenser out of your way. You will also need an E12 socket to separate the AW4 from the back of the block.

You can flip the condensor out of the way w/o discoing it. You won't have to worry about the e12 if you leave the trannies attached when you pull them(you know yours is good, but not the others, so save yourself the hassle).

Ya, I've removed an engine from one I was parting out, engine, tranny and t-case, and just flipped the AC condenser out of the way.

I just did my 97 XJ. It was actually pretty easy. I installed the replacement motor and pulled it back out then reinstalled it in a couple of hours by myself. I bought a piece of crap but dirt cheap shop crane from Harbor freight for less than $100 with coupons. That and having a garage floor to roll it around on made pulling and installing the motor simple.

Only a few wires needed to be labeled since most are pretty self explanatory due to where they are and the plug types on the end. I set the A/C compressor in the battery tray while the cooler, condenser and all hoses stayed put. I remove the air box and set the power steering pump in that spot. So on mine all hoses except the transmission and radiator hoses stayed connected.

No body parts except the hood needed to come off. The hardest thing I ran into was that the top two bellhousing bolts were Torx head in a spot where you cannot get a Torx socket. I ended up having to remove the motor mounts to drop the engine a few inches then grind the heads off with a Dremel tool. Obviously hex head went back in rather than Torx head.

Otherwise it was all cake. While you have the replacement motor out of the vehicle I would replace the rear seal, oil pump, water pump and oil pan gasket. I called that my driveway rebuild. I also had to swap intakes, distributors and flexplates since my motor came out of Grand. But you should be able to just drop yours right in all in one piece since it is same year XJ to XJ.

Last edited:
And you don't need an E12 for the upper BH bolts.

A regular 3/8 wrench (closed end) will do it and of course if you can drop the X-member to make it so you can squeeze a socket/ratchet in there then a 12 point 3/8 socket will work too.
A 10MM will work BUT it is slightly loose and you stand a chance of roudning off the bolt heads.

1. Mark the electrical connections.

2. Mark the vacuum connections.

3. Use a digital camera and take lots of pictures so you can refer back to them.

Good luck.

The hardest part for me was the 2 bolts on top of the tranny.Better off to pull the motor mounts and drop the motor down as far as you can to get to them.They are 3/8 12 point.Also use masking tape and label the harnesses.Other than that it wasn't bad at all.

correct me if im wrong but the 2 bolts up top of the tranny is e12 (inverse torx?) which is not a 12 point.

Im in the middle of changing engines and for me its a challenge especially since I am doing it for the first time. But with the help of these naxja guys Im progressing...slowly due to waiting on parts in the mail.

You are correct. E12 External torx.

The tip about dropping the drivetrain down is a good one though - that is, if you aren't pulling the entire drivetrain, which is what I would do.

Pull the whole drive train if you have a good hoist and a load leveler, if not its much easier to drop the tranny/t-case then pull the motor our.

Ive done this swap by myself, I didnt hurry through it and it took 3 days to rip both motors out and install the good one. By time you take the 2nd motor out, it will be easier and quicker

Back