• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine wont crank..

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I was on my way to work today and i pulled off to get some gas. when i whent to start it again it would not crank or nothing. the battery still has power. So i hooked a jumper cable to my starter solinoid and it would crank. So its not the starter. Im thinking either the nuetral switch or ignition switch. but how do you test them? or could it be something else.

97, 4.0 ,auto
Thanks

The most common problem is probably the neutral safety switch.

In a pinch you can crawl under with a screwdriver and short from the big wire to the little wire on the starter to get it to crank. Remember to put it in Park and have the key on. It is a little intimidating the first time you do it. :wave:

Well, as you know it WILL crank when jumped that eliminates battery and main cables. That leaves the NSS, starter relay, ignition switch, harness.

You can try shifting into neutral and see if it will start there, or shifting in/out of park a couple times and see if it cranks--those would be indications it is the NSS.

Doesnt start in nuetral. and putting it in and out of park doesnt work either. what relay is it or it there i diagram that will tell me what relay it is?

Im almost positive now its the neutral switch. my back up lights dont flip on when i put it in reverse and they have not for awhile. could this still be the cause even though it wont start in nuetral or park even if i do wiggle it around?

K so its not the neutral safety switch although im sure it was bad. i took it out and rebuilt it and put it back in and adjusted it and still wont start. i get a click from i think the fuze box when i turn the key. when the nuetral switch is adjusted right, but if i adjust the nuetral switch wrong on purpose i dont get a click. and it wont start if i run i jumper to the starter. but it will run if its adjusted right?.... any idea's?:wow:

Well, as you know it WILL crank when jumped that eliminates battery and main cables. That leaves the NSS, starter relay, ignition switch, harness.

You can try shifting into neutral and see if it will start there, or shifting in/out of park a couple times and see if it cranks--those would be indications it is the NSS.
Well, the NSS is eliminated. Igniton switch, starter relay, harness are still in play. Have you cleaned your battery connectins at the battery and at the block where the negative cable attaches?

the battery posts and conections are clean. Which relay is it i assume one of the 4 big ones. but what one?. and for the harnes is there anyway for me to test it? just put a test light on it? and where? the positive cable between the battery and the starter?

In your first post, you said you could jump to the starter and make it run. In a later post, you said it wouldn't do that any more. Did that change?

OP hasn't been around for 3 weeks, new guy must have a problem.

Back