• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 questions

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I got a 231 for cheap from DeathValleyPaul. I have a short shaft in my 231 now. All I have done is taken apart the cheap 231, replaced bearings and checked gears all is great! Thanks Paul! Now the 231 I have is acting up and I can't tell you what it is but I know what it isnt, the main shaft that was replaced with the short shaft with an SYE. My thoughts.....pull the main short shaft out of the 231 on the jeep and throw it into the cheap 231 that is perfect. Once again thanks Paul. Any thoughts on anything else I should be thinking about replacing before i put the whole thing together and put it into the jeep?

Thanks
Jack

No really rough in 4H and 4L. I checked the front axle after putting in 4.56 and everything is fine with the axle, so by logic the problem lies in the t-case. I think. Any other ideas than the t-case? The pinion angle is good so other than that I have no idea.

This might be a stupid question... but your front and rear axles are running the same gear ratio, right?

take the front driveshaft out and see if it still does it in 4hi/low without the front shaft in.

Define really rough. You mean it is hard getting into gear? Making a ton of noise? Vibrations? Won't stay in gear? On pavement, dirt, mud?

I've rebuilt a dozen or so of these.

done and done! swapped them out and put on an sye, new bearings, mainshaft, front gears and chain! No more problems! I mean it runs smooth! No more "rough" ride (by rough it literally felt like grinding going on). I am very pleased and am happy to announce that I am going back on the trail next weeknd!

Back