• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ENGINE SWAP QUESTION

fastfox84

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a 1996 xj 4.0 engine into my 1989 xj which also has a (bad) 4.0. I know I should use the old flywheel because of the crank sensor. I am also using the old intake manifold. Will the old exhaust work? Is there any issues i will have doing the swap? Thanks

outside of the long block assembly, the only things that I'd use from the '96 are the valve cover (better baffles) and the oil filter adapter (allows you to use the taller standard thread filter). Everything else should remain Renix to simplify things.

Not necessary to eliminate the EGR and it's illegal to do so. The vacuum lines on the original engine are critical for crankcase ventilation and should be kept in good repair.

Agree, don't defeat emissions equipment.

You can buy both halves of the vacuum harness for $18 each from rockauto.com, then pay s/h, or you can both halves from NAPA for $24 each and not pay for shipping. Another alternative is to replace the hard vacuum lines with vacuum hose, many have done it.

Back