• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help again

xjrocker666

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my 89 xj is messing up again and is earning the name christine :wow:

and is starting to drive me nuts ive owned it for about a month now and it seems like its falling apart on me witch suck

this morning got off work and it decides not to start it just keeps turning over and a half hour later it decided to start what would make it do that the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump or spark plugs???

thanks for all your patience

My 89 did this, i removed my CPS off the trans housing and cleaned all the grease off of it.. Re-installed it an she has been working fine...Mine had a rear main leak at one time.
Knock on wood she keeps working..

this was 6 months ago
HTH

Christine fixed herself after Arnie started showing her a good time ;)

check for spark, check for fuel pressure at the valve that is on the fuel rail, push it valve in like a tire valve if gas shoots out you have pressure. cranking with fuel and no spark means the CPS is going out (99% of the time). It is a sensor on the trans bellhousing on the drivers side, up just high enough to be a pain in the ass. when they go out the ECM won't send a spark signal to the coil.

if you havent replaced it, my vote is on the CPS as well

i have a cut out proplem on mine.. sumtimes i'll be cruising an she burps.. rpms cut out then she cuts back in... cps??? it only does it when it wants too...

alright well ill change that with all the other things that need to be done today..

and also whats a good radiator for an 89??

and could also it be the fuel pump??

long skinny funnel and dump it in the dipstick tube.

fuel pump would but you would not have fuel pressure, did you check for pressure at the fuel rail? when you turn the key to on but not start it, do you hear the pump kick on for a second? if so its not the pump.

i cant really hear anything because when i turn the key all i hear turn on is the fan....

and ok what kind of oil do i use?

ok, but how about the fuel pressure at the rail? you want someone to come over and do it for you dude? I mentioned this in the first reply to your post, if you have pressure there its the CPS, if not, its the fuel pump. can't help ya anymore than that, we're just keyboard commandos firing shots in the dark man. :dunno:

Ok, checking pressure at the rail, let us not confuse the noobs. Open your hood, face the grill of your jeep. Look at the valve cover. to the right of the valve cover is a long silver tube that all your injectors are plugged into. On that tube is a little cap, unscrew it. Under the cap will be a valve, it will look like a tire stem valve. Take your car key and depress the pin in the middle of the valve, if gas sprays out its not your pump. If no gas sprays out, its your pump and you still should replace your CPS.

Back