• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Suggestions for '00 XJ WOBBLE

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Stock 100K miles

we get a wobble that starts at 72 mph
steering wheel shakes and jeep shakes, not violently but a good wooble

mechanic couple years ago said it was 2 worn front u joints but we had them replaced so its not that.

any suggestions where to start? should a good standard mechanic be able to diagnose or should i got to alignment place?

Check everything in your front suspension... control arm bushings, make sure the bracket on the frame for the track bar is securely bolted on (there was a dealer recall or TSB on this at one point, dealers were tightening them before even putting them on the lot), check your ball joints and unit bearings.

Check everything in your front suspension... control arm bushings, make sure the bracket on the frame for the track bar is securely bolted on (there was a dealer recall or TSB on this at one point, dealers were tightening them before even putting them on the lot), check your ball joints and unit bearings.

Agree. I would add to check the steering gear box mounting and the condition of the unibody. Also, there is an aluminum spacer in there that likes to crack and come apart. Crawl under the front end, wheels on the ground, have friend/spouse slowly turn the steering wheel left/right and watch for odd movements of any components.

The upper control arm ones can be a real doozie. Lower control arm bushings are easiest to do by just replacing the control arm and getting one with new bushings preinstalled, Quadratec sells those among others. Uppers you have to drill/cut/press the old bushings out of the axle end, the frame end it's installed in the control arm so you use the same trick and just replace the arm. You can pull the bushings but it's more work, really up to you.

Also check the TREs (tie rod ends) on your tie rod and drag link, those will contribute to steering slop which makes death wobble easier to start.

i had a 90 Yj that had a horrible "death" wobble but it was due to crappy, worn tires. i just want to express that this isnt as bad as something like that...more of a big vibration.

my wife said it started when she got some front brake work a while back. jeep was fine before it went in then seemed to vibrate after at speeds of 72+. the shop said it was the u joints but we never got them fixed till recently. and the tires have been on and off many times since so it doesnt seem to be loose tire.

x2 on steering gear box. If anyone of the 3 bolts that hold that puppy in place are loose, it will cause your problem.

Back