• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Questions

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
Since I know every single one of you have an opinion on this I am going to open up the discussion, although I am sure I'm not the first person to ask this. I currently have a solid high pinion dana 30 with open diff from an 86 wagoneer, also a dana 30 high pinion with posi-lock installed where vacuum disconnect was and welded spiders 3.55 gears from an 1988 cherokee. Out back I have a 27 spline Chrysler 8.25 with a lock-right locker installed. My long term plans are 35" tires and selectable lockers. I am currently running 32" BFG KM2 m/t's. I know that my chrysler axle is wimpy and would never hold up to 35" tires, the question is do I roll with a junkyard ford 8.8 with disc brakes and LSD or do I switch out the internals of my chrysler 8.25 for 29 spline axles and carriers/gears or do I pick up a junk yard dana 44 from an xj with drum brakes? Also do I keep the dana 30 up front? Which one? and will it hold up to 35" tires with a locker? Or do I switch it out for something else? What is the closest direct replacement for a dana 30 on the front of an XJ? What requires the least amount of modification and has the most strength? Or do I spring for the Super 30 kit with locker. Any opinions with reasoning would be wonderful! I need something to hold up on the trail, I don't do a whole lot of rocks but do on occasion, I spend a lot of time doing hill climbs and mud holes and smaller technical rock trails. I am a shadetree in that I have a 220V welder that I can hold my own with and can do all the regearing on my own. Thanks 4 Your help!

First, don't sell your 8.25 short. With some alloy axles it will be just fine with 35's unless you are wild with the skinny pedal. The D30 can be built to hold up fairly well with 35's but a D60 might be a better move if you have the money and skills to adapt it.

Is there a dana 60 out there with a similar width so that I wouldnt have to change axle shafts to custom ones. I dont mind moving perches for the springs or mounts but I really dont want to have to buy custom axles and shorten tubes. Any brand allow shafts for the 8.25 in particular that you think would be good? What upgrades to the dana 30 would help it to hold up? Is the Ford 8.8 a c-clip axle?

As Jeeperjohn said your 8.25 with upgraded axles should be fine for 35" tires (just maybe not 35-15.5 swampers). I know a guy who runs 35-13.5 tires on a D30 with a lockright and he had some problems with breaking axles, but with a selectable locker you should be fine, just go easy on the skinny pedal when you turn on the front locker.

The 8.8 is a c-clip axle but you're going to have to break the shafts on it before it matters.

Is there a dana 60 out there with a similar width so that I wouldnt have to change axle shafts to custom ones. I dont mind moving perches for the springs or mounts but I really dont want to have to buy custom axles and shorten tubes. Any brand allow shafts for the 8.25 in particular that you think would be good? What upgrades to the dana 30 would help it to hold up? Is the Ford 8.8 a c-clip axle?

you'd have to narrow the 60, or keep it full width. i have yukon alloy shafts in my 27 spline 8.25 and they've held up to 33's and 35's. good uprgrades for the 30 are spicer 760 u-joints with full caps, a solid diff cover, and some alloy shafts wouldnt hurt either.

I suggest you check with www.rwkhaussupply.com for some Nitro shafts. A D60 would have to be narrowed unless you want to go full width.

Could you help my narrow my search. What years and models of old mopars would have the dana 60 with the correct width front axle? It would cost me more money to buy alloy shafts than it would to by a more stout junkyard axle that I could run stock that would be the same dimensions.

Could you help my narrow my search. What years and models of old mopars would have the dana 60 with the correct width front axle? It would cost me more money to buy alloy shafts than it would to by a more stout junkyard axle that I could run stock that would be the same dimensions.

He is talking rear.

Back