• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WOW! what a difference the update weather stripping makes!

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I finally installed new 96-01 door weatherstripping in my '87 XJ. My original drivers side weather stripping was in pretty bad shape, with tears and gaps, however my passengers side was mint. I installed the new style on my drivers side and took it for a test drive. I was thinking wow this is soo much better. I went back and installed the updated stuff on the passenger side, as I was backing out of the driveway I was thinking it wouldn't sound much different because the original weatherstripping was in good shape.

But wow, with the new stuff in both doors it almost doubled the quietness. The moral is, even if your weather stripping is in good condition, and your running the '84-'95 stuff, you could greatly benefit from the thicker '96-'01 style.

Good info. I should put that on my junkyard list.

What I really need are all four window channels. The front drivers one is basically gone. I usually stuff a rag in there on long trips to block some the whistling and rattling.

I bought mine new.. from teamcherokee.com The older style stuff is dirt cheap.. at about $25 a door.. the newer stuff will run you about $89 per door. I didn't go with junk yard stripping because #1 my XJ is a 2dr and I have a hard time finding 2dr items, and #2 the newest stuff in the junk yard is 9 years old..

I have to slam my doors really hard to get them to close, it will get better over time, the new stuff is going to perfectly conform to my door. If you pull stripping off a junked rig its formed to that rig's doors.. and its gaps.. Your better off with new if you can afford it..

Back