• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ, just swapped lights for gauges and running hot.

smash9002

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys this is my first post. I just purchased my first xj, it is a 93 2 door with a 5-speed. Its all stock, and being a stripped down model it only had idiot lights. I read a write-up and swapped the gauge cluster and sending units. The gauge reads that its running at about 230 consistently with freeway driving and slightly higher at idle.

The coolant looks dirty, but not thick like a milkshake. Other than a coolant flush, where can I start? I dont want to have to buy coolant twice if it ends up needing a radiator, so I would like to pinpoint my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do the flush, fill with tap water take it for a drive. If the flush cured your problem take it home drain the tap water and fill with 50/50 and your done.

All good advice.

If it was mine:

Plan on the following--new hoses, radiator and heater, plan on new hose clamps; new water pump (never a reman); check the mechanical fan's clutch--good idea to change it; inspect the belt (Goodyear Gator); install a new thermostat (Stant SuperStat Premium, 195 degree); do a HD flush, the type you leave in for 500 miles; change all the lubricants and the oil/air filters--recommend Shell Rotella 10w30 or 15w40, but any diesel motor oil will do, diesel motor oils are highly detergent and contain ZDDP, good for the cam and flat tappets; grease the drive shafts, u-joints, front end; inspect the brakes for any leaks, change the fluid as it is hygroscopic (attracts water), same for clutch if a manual trans.

That should get you started.

hey i have a 97 with only dummy lights also. Where was that write up that explained how to swap out the cluster? Also how long did it take/ how hard was it?

hey i have a 97 with only dummy lights also. Where was that write up that explained how to swap out the cluster? Also how long did it take/ how hard was it?

You will have it even easier--the senders don't have to be changed on your year, just locate a 97 cluster with gauges and install it.

Back