• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drain plug on botton of AT pan??

how else you gonna drain the atf:roflmao:

yes its normall

hahahahahahahahaha

wait, how do drain the tranny in the LJ?

I was underneath checking for leaks etc I noticed what looks like a drain plug on my AT pan, is that normal??
Yes it is on the AW4. To service the trans, remove the plug and drain it. Install new washer on drain plug and reinstall. Add about 3 and 3/4 quarts of fresh Dexron/Mercon fluid. Double check the level per instructions on the dipstick.

wish mine didnt have a drain plug... because i flipping stripped mine today... grrr just another thing to add to the list haha

damn that must make a mess!

I've drained an auto transmission before by dropping the pan because the drain bolt was stuck. It's not that bad actually if you can do it right. I hinged it allowing one end to lower and drain most of the fluid out right into a oil catcher. Then I used a floor jack to lower the pan holding the remaining fluid in it.

It's not an ideal way obviously but also not as much hassle as it can seem or be made if done wrong.

Most cars don't have a tranny drain since fluid interval is so large. But you can drop the pan, or you can use the cooler lines (if you have one), worst case is siphon fluid through the dipstick tube

My HS shop teacher said when auto trannies first became mainstream, they had drain plugs. What happened during routine oil change, was the mechanic would pull the tranny plug thinkning it was the engine oil. The cars would leave with 10 qts of engine oil and no tranny oil, so Detroit stopped putting drainplugs in auto tranny pans.
I'm not sure how much truth there is, or where he heard that. [/hijack]

I had a Ford Car and a Ford truck that neither one had a drain plug. I just dropped the pan and if you are careful you can do it without makin a mess but it sucks. Yes it is normal. Some manufacturers put them in there and some don't.

My HS shop teacher said when auto trannies first became mainstream, they had drain plugs. What happened during routine oil change, was the mechanic would pull the tranny plug thinkning it was the engine oil. The cars would leave with 10 qts of engine oil and no tranny oil, so Detroit stopped putting drainplugs in auto tranny pans.
I'm not sure how much truth there is, or where he heard that. [/hijack]

Firestone just did that to my father's Subaru. Drained the A/T fluid & changed the A/T filter! Put 4 quarts of additional oil into the crankcase!
They did not know why they could not drive it out of their shop!

They start it to fill the filter & look for the idiot light to go out, then turn it off.
Then yes, they should check the level after they let it sit a while.
Must have been the tech's first day.......

wish mine didnt have a drain plug... because i flipping stripped mine today... grrr just another thing to add to the list haha

If you stripped the drain plug there is a good chance that you stripped out the threads on the pan. There isn't much material there for re-tapping (guess how I know :doh: ) You'll be OK though, just take the tranny pan with you to your local auto parts store and find the smallest "Oversized" drainplug that will work for your application.

Good luck

If you stripped the drain plug there is a good chance that you stripped out the threads on the pan. There isn't much material there for re-tapping (guess how I know :doh: ) You'll be OK though, just take the tranny pan with you to your local auto parts store and find the smallest "Oversized" drainplug that will work for your application.

Good luck
Actually, I've had 2 instances where the plug lost it's threads on an AW4 after some grease monkey over tightened it. The solution was get a replacement plug and washer from the dealer or tranny shop. The pan threads were fine.

Back