• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strangest problem ever, anybody have any clue?

ytownxj

NAXJA Forum User
So my manual 98 cherokee runs at about 210 during normal operation, just replaced everything in the cooling system but the heater core and radiator about 2 months ago, so the water pump all the hosing and thermostat, even the fan clutch. When in stop and go traffic my temp goes up to 220 and the oil pressure drops to 5 psi... no idea why. Getting into first gear even seems to put strain on the engine like it has lost power or something. Right now i'm thinking it's time to get the thing exorcised because i have no idea how to solve this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

nothing wrong with 220, as long as the fan is kicking on

what scares me is the oil pressure, not the temp... and the fact that the jeep is actually hard to get moving when the oil pressure is that low, and it's not like it's running low or anything. once i'm moving and getting air through that radiator the oil pressure jumps up to about 35 psi again

even if my gauges are off that still doesn't explain why it's actually harder to drive it in traffic. it feels like the engine just lost 100 horsepower automatically and it gets worst the warmer the engine gets

What weight oil are you running?

I recall a story in JP magazine that described a loss of power like you mentioned.
I think they had either a power steering pump or air conditioning compressor fail.
Extra load on the engine prior to catastrophic failure.

I don't think they are related.

Oil pressure issue. Only way to tell is by putting a manual gauge on it. Then decide if the pressure is really low. Might just be a janky oil pressure sensor at that certain pressure.

The lack of power when the engine is hot is most likely the mechanical fan clutch engaging due to the elevated temps of the engine. When the clutch is locked the fan can absorb quite a bit of power, in the right conditions of course.

Start with the oil pressure issue first, then worry about the lack of power.

Definitely check the belt driven accessories.

Is your idle speed dropping low along with the low (indicated) oil pressure?

I wouldn't expect either a failing fan clutch or one that is simply doing its job to rob 100 hp from your engine, but if you are hitting 220 (indicated) degrees in stop and go traffic there is a good chance that your fan clutch is on its way out--assuming that you aren't sitting there running the a/c.

well the fan clutch is only two months old, replaced it along with most of the cooling system at the same time... the ac is on since it's just about 90 every day so there could be something there

well the fan clutch is only two months old, replaced it along with most of the cooling system at the same time... the ac is on since it's just about 90 every day so there could be something there

Crawling along with the a/c on 220 doesn't sound way out of whack, just make sure the aux fan is coming on and still runs good--they get old and won't pull as much air.

As for the oil pressure, I would rent a mechanical gauge and confirm the psi--there is nothing like a little piece of mind. Just for grins and giggles, what brand oil filter?

Also, any results on checking the belt driven accessories by hand?

Back