• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I love XJ's and their oil leaks

H8D-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So in the past week I have been chasing a pretty large oil leak, at first I thought it was the valve cover so I replaced the VC gasket, oil filter adapter o rings, oil pressure sensor, and distributor gasket. Started her up and drove her and the leak was still there. So I re looked it all over and noticed the head gasket seemed to be leaking oil out the passenger side.

So the next day I went ahead and replaced the head gasket with a new fel pro and cleaned everything up. Started it today warmed it up and drove it and lakes it and noticed it's still leaking oil hahahahaha. So it looks like it's dripping right off the bellhousing between the tranny and motor so it seems I've narrowed it down to a rear main seal/oil pan gasket.

Oh well at least I know pretty much every gasket and seal in this motor is new. Sorry just had to vent cuz I have been laughing about it all day.

Don't wear any clothes that you plan to wear again when you replace the rear main seal and pan gasket. I would suggest using the one piece fel-pro pan gasket too.

1. Always clean up the mess and locate the source of the leak. Of course, you might have had leaks from all of those seals anyway. I like 50/50 Simple Green and tap water, in a pump garden sprayer--apply, wait 30 minutes, hose off. Avoid drowning the TPS with the hose.

2. So, now you are after the RMS. Lots of write ups on NAXJA. Couple of things to think about: do you want to replace the oil pump; make sure and torque ALL of the rod and main cap bolts, they work loose; if you don't replace the oil pump at least clean the pickup tube screen; make sure and lubricate the upper half of the RMS, that will help prevent tearing during installation; allow yourself lots of extra time to do this job; if you can't seem to clear the oil pump when trying to get the pan off, just drop the oil pump as it is only two bolts.

RMS is a filthy job. I'd get one of those disposable splashproof tyvek suits from mcmaster. and a good face shield.

FWIW mine leaked even worse after I did it. Still not sure what I did wrong...

Don't wear any clothes that you plan to wear again when you replace the rear main seal and pan gasket. I would suggest using the one piece fel-pro pan gasket too.
If you do get oil and gunk and grease on something you care about, hose it down with brake cleaner and throw it in the wash immediately. Yes, you could have an explosion in your washing machine if a spark goes in the wrong place... but your clothes will be clean! I have gotten some of my jeans that were nearly black and greasy to the touch AFTER being washed back to nearly original condition by soaking them and re-washing this way.

hey, those are not oil leaks, thats built in rust protection

ewen
so true. I may need to clog my CCV system back up for a week or two in a few months... my oil coating is slowly wearing off.

As a side note a buddy of mine swears adding some simple green to the wash, gets out all the grease and oil from his clothes...haven't tried that one yet..

As a side note a buddy of mine swears adding some simple green to the wash, gets out all the grease and oil from his clothes...haven't tried that one yet..

Good tip to try.

As a side note a buddy of mine swears adding some simple green to the wash, gets out all the grease and oil from his clothes...haven't tried that one yet..(ECHO)

Good tip to try. (ECHO)

Well i started the job of replacing the RMS and oil pan gasket but was interrupted by a 1/2 inch 'snap on' long handle wrench hitting me in the face right above my right eye hahaha. Had to go to kaiser and get three stitches, funny part was it hit me and i just cussed and got back to work, then a minute later wondered why my face was warm then i saw the blood lol. Didnt even hurt much just was a dumb inconvenience. So that wasted the day, so next day off i have ill finish her up.

The way I avoid the drips is to let the rig sit for a day, then remove the pan. With the pan removed I use a few shop towels to pick up the drips. Works well for me anyway.

BTW if you don't have a lift, the easiest way to remove the pan is to jack UP the axle not down. The reason is the control arms rotate the axle back when it is dropped and prevents the pan from coming out as the front of the pan drop hits the axle.

Back