• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA Smog test

BAMF95

NAXJA Forum User
Well i bought a Jeep that had a smog done on it and when i went to the DMV they didnt have a record of it. What is ridiculous is that he transferred it from Nevada to California plates 30 days before i bought it. so he had to have passed to get California plates and registration. anyway I ended up having to get it smogged myself.

has a brand new catalytic converter and all the numbers look great, except one. My 25 mph NO. i got 1129 ppm at 2192 rpm. I dont understand why everyone of my numbers is beyond low my 15 mph test was 162 ppm. I have no check engine light.

has anyone had similar issues. I drove it around for about 2 hours before i took it to get tested and put 91 octane in it.

Any ideas to help pass, beside moving from California. :eek:

I'm having a similar issue with my 92 MJ. When I bought it in from Nevada two years ago, it passed smog just fine. Now I'm having trouble passing the NO test. In fact, I've failed twice in the past week.

Before the first test, I ran the truck on some 91 octane. After I failed that, I did a complete tuneup. Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, O2 sensor, and cleaned the K&N air filter. But I had gone back to 87 octane. And failed again. But there was a significant improvement.

So the smog guy said that if I run 91 octane for a couple of days, coupled with the tuneup, I should be able to pass on the third test, which will be tomorrow.

The good news is that the smog guy is cool and is giving me two free re-tests.

In CA Legally, seller is responsible for SMOG. Did you get the paper SMOG cert from the PO?

Uh, did you get a CA title with it? What's the issue date on the Registration? Can you get the printed report from him?

In CA Legally, seller is responsible for SMOG. Did you get the paper SMOG cert from the PO?

I understand its the sellers responsibility. And because i know he already got it smogged I am not making him pay for it. its one of those DMV mess ups.

anyway the issue now is not who should pay for smog or is responsible. the issue is that it wont pass. thank you for your comment

Uh, did you get a CA title with it? What's the issue date on the Registration? Can you get the printed report from him?
the title is being held by the CA DMV because they switched it to a CA title, and before they sent it out to him, i bought the vehicle and put it in my name. the DMV has the Title still because it needs to pass smog to finish up the registration.
the jeep is officially sticker-ed till March 2011.

So now that all that is figured out. whats up with the NO numbers?

Nox is typically indicative of high cylinder temps. The EGR system is supposed to reduce NOX by introducing inert (already burnt) gas into the intake.
Without knowing what engine you have, and what all of the SMOG numbers were, it's hard to give specific advise.

RENIX (1987-1990) has EGR, HO (1991-up) does not. It "accomplishes" the same task through port reversion instead.

(I find the EGR system and idea dubious for us - with a properly-tuned and relatively low-compression engine, NOx isn't a problem.)

Another issue I've found usually arises from the use of cheap gas (and can be compounded by EGR or significant exhaust port reversion) - the buildup of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Easy enough to deal with - all it takes is a spray bottle of water and a catalytic converter gasket. I've covered it several times here before (both the how and why,) so I'm not about to go into it again. A brief search should turn it up for you.

The only way I could get my 95 to pass was swapping the plugs for champion RC9YC's (a cooler heat range plug than the original for the HO). even after a new converter and a full tuneup I was still failing with high numbers from what equated to high combustion chamber temps, but I swapped the plugs out and it passed just fine. I keep them on the shelf in the garage as my smog set and run the reccomended plugs the rest of the time.

The only way I could get my 95 to pass was swapping the plugs for champion RC9YC's (a cooler heat range plug than the original for the HO). even after a new converter and a full tuneup I was still failing with high numbers from what equated to high combustion chamber temps, but I swapped the plugs out and it passed just fine. I keep them on the shelf in the garage as my smog set and run the reccomended plugs the rest of the time.

I have been told to do the same thing. im gonna try those plugs

This whole thread is a "Poster Boy" for why you need to put the Year/Engine/blah/blah/blah in the first dang post when starting a thread!!!

OP, you have a 1995 XJ in your Profile--is that the XJ you are talking about? Yeah, you eventually got around to mentioning the engine, so kudos on that. Its those simple little things that save time and effort, and will tend to get you answers that make sense, as 5-90 posted the EGR went the way of the DoDo 91+.

As those wiser than I have said, go to a colder range plug.

This whole thread is a "Poster Boy" for why you need to put the Year/Engine/blah/blah/blah in the first dang post when starting a thread!!!

OP, you have a 1995 XJ in your Profile--is that the XJ you are talking about? Yeah, you eventually got around to mentioning the engine, so kudos on that. Its those simple little things that save time and effort, and will tend to get you answers that make sense, as 5-90 posted the EGR went the way of the DoDo 91+.

As those wiser than I have said, go to a colder range plug.

awesome Joe Peters. Sorry for not posting its an XJ, as it states i should in the rules. Sometimes i forget that there are others out there on this forum since i am apart of many forums i would naturally only post about my XJ in NAXJA. but thank you for reminding me. rookie mistake.

awesome Joe Peters. Sorry for not posting its an XJ, as it states i should in the rules. Sometimes i forget that there are others out there on this forum since i am apart of many forums i would naturally only post about my XJ in NAXJA. but thank you for reminding me. rookie mistake.

We can figure you're talking about your XJ (unless you've posted in Other Tech,) but the XJ was in production for nineteen years, and quite a few critical changes were made in that time.

That's why I went into the EGR thing - I was trying to get the idea across that we needed to know more. And we try to not count on profiles - how are we to know that you're not working on something that isn't listed on your profile? A new accession? Not yours?

No need to get bent at Joe - he said what I would have said, had I not some variety of "official capacity" (as a moderator, I do need some sort of positive example around here...)

moving from California.

After seeing your last few comments, maybe this is the best option!

Or settle down, try the cooler plugs and use some seafoam (or similar motor treatment). Do the seafoam before the plug change.

awesome Joe Peters. Sorry for not posting its an XJ, as it states i should in the rules.

seriously? :rolleyes:

Year and options the information we need, everyone assumes it is an XJ. Come on man, don't smart off to people trying to help you :twak:

After seeing your last few comments, maybe this is the best option!

Or settle down, try the cooler plugs and use some seafoam (or similar motor treatment). Do the seafoam before the plug change.

maybe i should move from california? are you serious? did the sea foam.

I dont know why everyones telling me to settle down. Im not upset. On the other forums im on, im always giving people grief for not posting a thread correctly. I guess it sounds smart ass now that i read it again. i was just having a Doh! moment when i realized i didnt post ANY info about what i was talking about. Joe was a little over the top but he was right.

so thank you everyone for your help. seriously

Last edited:
maybe i should move from california? are you serious? did the sea foam.

I dont know why everyones telling me to settle down. Im not upset. On the other forums im on, im always giving people grief for not posting a thread correctly. I guess it sounds smart ass now that i read it again. i was just having a Doh! moment when i realized i didnt post ANY info about what i was talking about. Joe was a little over the top but he was right.

so thank you everyone for your help. seriously

I can tend to come across that way. :smsoap:

But I really am nice, to little old ladies, and I love puppies. :loveu:

Well, sometimes. :firedevil

Back