• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulley's Lining Up; Idler, Power steering

Ranss

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Cherokee XJ Sport 4.0

I don't have service manual with me and I'm installing Power Steering pump and the Idler Pulley. When installed correctly should the "Fronts" of the Pulley's be Flush (with each other) or does the Idler Pulley stick-out about a 1/2" ?
Idler pulley Spacer does go in front or tensioner bracket, correct?

When I replaced the P/S pump on my 90 XJ AND my 88 MJ in the same afternoon I found that the pulleys were quite different. The MJ pulley was flush with the end of the shaft. It was all metal, and solid (no holes or spokes). The XJ pulley fit to a shoulder inside the pulley (recessed about 1/2"). That pulley is plastic with spokes. I suspect that the XJ pulley is aftermarket - but everything on both rigs line up flush with the HB and the idler.

Both "old school" rigs but may offer some insight that they CAN be different.

I would want the belt to ride in the center of the idler pulley so as to prevent uneven pressure on the bearing resulting in early bearing failure, regardless if the "fronts" line up.

The old idler pulley should have the paint wore off where the belt needs to ride, use this to figure out where it should go.

Back