• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 HP 12" bench model disc sander $150

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Penn Tool has introduced a new brand called "Shopfox". I have never heard of it.

I'm sure at that price they are made over-seas.

If you do fabrication at home, this might be a cheap alterantive to the real thing (Apex).

I have requested a quote for shipping. I'll post back when I get it.

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=7621

Looks alot like my HF one,great tool for fab work!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=12%22+sander
image_1040.jpg

The H/F one does have 1-1/4 HP and is cheaper in price.

But the Shopfox has a larger table and it's cast iron as opposed to Alum.

One of the reviewers on Amazon said he passed up the H/F unit because of the 23 amp draw at start-up. I guess it's something to consider in smaller shops?

I guess they are both about the same when you consider price.:dunno:

The H/F one does have 1-1/4 HP and is cheaper in price.

But the Shopfox has a larger table and it's cast iron as opposed to Alum.

One of the reviewers on Amazon said he passed up the H/F unit because of the 23 amp draw at start-up. I guess it's something to consider in smaller shops?

I guess they are both about the same when you consider price.:dunno:

All motors have high in-rush currents at start-up,the one your looking at will to.Ive had mine for about 10yrs now,I think the aluminum table works better since it doesn't become magnetized and have all your grindings stuck to it.You need to clean the whole thing inside often,those filings are so fine they are flamable!

Last edited:
All motors have high in-rush currents at start-up,the one your looking at will to.Ive had mine for about 10yrs now,I think the aluminum table works better since it doesn't become magnetized and have all your grindings stuck to it.You need to clean the whole thing inside often,those filings are so fine they are flamable!

Never thought about that, hmmmm, makes sense.

You need to clean the whole thing inside often,those filings are so fine they are flamable!

Yes, that's true. When I worked at Dan Gurney's we had two Apex's. One for magneseum and one for everything else.

We also had a titanium fire in one of the lathes for the same reason (fine chips).

Last edited:
Back