• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting a new XJ

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this would go into the OEM Tech or here.
My brother is looking to buy a 95 Cherokee sport 4.0L AX-15. It has a 3" lift to it but I don't know what kind or what components. Is there any part we should pay close attention to before we buy? The T-case has a minor leak by the rear out put shaft, that is all we know about. The engine has been replaced it has 90,000 miles on it. The rest has 114,000 miles. Also the clutch has been replaced as well.

Have you looked at the vehicle yet?

1. Rust--floor pans in the front, rear, and cargo area.
2. Rust--shock and spring mounting points front and rear.
3. Rust--unibody front to rear.
4. Compression test.
5. Check the crankcase oil for coolant contamination--dipstick and take off the filler cap and look.
6. When you arrived, engine cold or hot? Seller could be try to hide a cold start/running issue by warming the engine up before you got there, or maybe someone else test drove it or they went for beer and chips--just something to think about.
7. Drive it a minimum of 20 minutes to fully warm up the engine and oil. Mix of city/highway/city, level and inclines to check for driveability issues--you can offer to pay for some gas, couple of gallons should do it. After the drive, if it ran Ok for you, then recheck the oil.
8. I wouldn't worry about maintenance items--hoses/belts, as you should pretty much expect to replace all those and all fluids anyway.
9. Check kbb.com and get the private party value for your area. Poor/Fair/Good values are the only meaningful numbers for a used vehicle unless it is a full factory restore. You can adjust the kbb numbers up/down for extras like a lift/bumpers/etc.

Good luck.

thanks for the input I really appreciate it. besides the once over to see what/if anything is leaking i wasn't sure what to concentrate on. I bought my jeep from a dealer with a warranty so I didn't worry about much

Back