• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with lift idea

rockhead

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to debate if I should lift the wifes jeep a little. Do you think this would be a decent starting point to get a good riding street rig that can handle some mild trails?

Front
Rough country drop brackets $190
Used 3" Rancho springs $20
1.5" coil spacer $ already installed.
Jks adjustable trac bar $ already installed.
YJ brake lines $20
Stock control arms $ already installed.
Shock?

Rear
JY bastard pack $20
1.5" Shackles $ already installed.
YJ brake line $20
Shocks?

SYE
IRO hack & tap $200

How do you think it will ride?
How bad will it look with 31" tires?

If I understand what you wrote, it would seem you went with about 4.5" of total lift. 31's are probably going to look too small. I would at least run 32's. There should be no fender trimming needed to run 32's. Also, it seems you are piecing together a bunch of stuff that was never engineered to be put together. You may get some really weird vibrations and wobbles due to the geometry of your steering being a Frankenstein of parts. You also may get lucky and have very little issues. I'm sure other guys on here have tried similar things and may be able to give you some personal experience advice.

I would not run the stock lower control arms, they dont have a very high sheer strength. Bent sheet metal for crying out loud. lol Make up your own or purchase custom length ones. You will also want the adjustability to tune in your suspension.

I would at least go 32's, preferably 33's with that setup. What is your budget for shocks?

I would find another option for arms, at least go with aftermarket lowers. Looking hard enough you can usually find a good deal on some used ones.

Yeah I would plan on upgrading control arms. I really want to stay 31" tires so I don't have to regear right away. I actually want to stay at about 3.5" but I really like the idea of having the better ride of db's. and from what I understand you can not run db's with 3.5" of lift.

here's what I would do...
take out the coil spacer, just put in the springs. That way, you won't need drop brackets and it will still ride ok. Still do a bastard pack so that it looks level, but since it will only be 3" you won't need the sye. And for shocks, you can get some take offs from a wrangler rubicon.
NOW, with all the money you saved from not getting the drop brackets and sye, buy a lunchbox locker and sliders if you don't have them already! That would make it a better rig than having 4.5" open diffs. Not to mention, the tires wouldn't look small and you wouldn't need to regear, and it would be better on road.

new control arms. you got to do something about the front sway bar remove the rear one. 31 will look fine but you might want bigger depending on if its a dd or dd/trial. don't forget bump stops. or you could spend some money and get a long arm kit and be happy with your rig you will want one after a little any way

Long arms... :cheers:

What does your Wife think of this idea? The ride quality will be reduced, count on it, and the steering will be different. You didn't mention the year--why doesn't anybody do that? With a 95+ and larger tires your brakes won't feel like total crap due to the dual-diaphragm booster, but if it is less than a 95 adding larger tires will effect braking.

31s and 4.5" of lift means lots of room to flex! :D it doesnt look "dumb". and yes, you can still rub with little tires. true story.

but i agree with joe_peters... is this what YOU want to do with the jeep or what SHE wants to do with it? do you have a lifted XJ? has she driven it and (more importantly) likes it?

Back