• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this tranny.. on that motor

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Long story short. I have an AW4/231 from a 98XJ.
My 89' XJ has a "94" motor but still has the original transmission/21 spline 242

Im wanting to swap the 98 AW4/231 onto my 94 4.0L thats in my 89 renix jeep.

My 89' renix jeep is still running the renix wiring.
any problems i will encounter?

You'll need to swap the transfer case input gear, or get a different transfer case. I'd suggest the latter - aim for a 91-95 so you get the same output slip yoke design as your jeep, but the new input gear setup.

You will also need to swap the output speed sensor, rotor, and possibly tailhousing (sensor mounts slightly differently) OR build an adapter circuit board that will turn the 4 pulse/rev OSS signal from the 98-up AW4 into the 1 pulse/rev OSS signal expected by the 97-down TCU.

Kastein, OP says he wants to put the 98 AW4/231 in instead of XXX/242 currently in the 89, so shouldn't his only problem be the speedo/speed sensor hookup?

put it in, get the speedo cable setup for an early 231, get the speedo gear so it reads right, and start driving it.

Yep joe is right... Misread, and yeah, output speed sensor will be an issue. Either swap the older setup on or build the nifty electronic converter lawsoncl has posted before, I'd search for it but I'm on my phone and pasting links is painfully difficult.

Oh, and remember the slip yoke redesign in 96 and later, if it's lifted you may need an sye when you didn't before. Mentioned this in a roundabout way in post 2.

Back