• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget lift critique

rockhead

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering lifting the wifes 97 xj more. It currently has a 2" budget boost with shackles/spacers. It currently rides like crap and has a slight case of death wobble. I want the best ride possible on the road with the ability to upgrade the offroad ability in steps. Please critique my plan.
Front
Rough country drop brackets $190
Used 3" Rancho springs $20
1.5" coil spacer $ already installed.
Jks adjustable trac bar $ already installed.
YJ brake lines $20
Stock control arms $ already installed.
Shock?

Rear
JY bastard pack $20
1.5" Shackles $ already installed.
YJ brake line $20
Shocks?

SYE
IRO hack & tap $200

How do you think it will ride?
How bad will it look with 31" tires?

two things are making ride crappy right now. the coil spacers, and change in control arm angle.

drop brackets should help, possibly with the dw too by getting caster angle closer to stock.

don't know much about rancho-never used them.

bastard pack may ride rough i dunno.

If you have DW starting or any problems, FIX THAT FIRST. Any lift you do will just make it worse. Rancho springs are THE most stiff springs you get. Go with Iron Rock, Rustys or OME. Otherwise you should be OK.

getting more lift, especially they way you plan on doing it, will NOT make the ride better. you need to adress the death wobble first IMO. and then i would ask the wife what she wants. does she just want a smooth ride? then maybe a cherokee isnt ideal. does she want to lift it or do you? think about that one... my lady friend is almost 6ft, and im over that mark. so a lifted rig isnt a problem for us. she hasnt let me talk her into lifting her focus yet... your results may vary. check out the rubicon express kits. even if your not BUYING one of their kits, i find them to be very complete, and give a good idea of what is needed at different heights.

but as far as your lift plans posted... over 3" i would recomend at least new lowers, preferably upper control arms as well. your going to have to redrill the trac bar mount, or get an adjustable. i recomend adjustable. and you posted a SYE, so you wont need a T-case drop... doesnt sound so "budget" now does it?

31s look good from stock height on up. they start looking small at 4-5" but will flex like a champ. ask me how i know. haha. i just trimmed my rear, and now they really look small. automatic or manuel... it will still kill your milage. stay where your at, fix the DW, throw on some 30x9.50s and keep the chicas rig out of the garage.

Well plans changed a little. I sold my trail rig and I am going to steal this xj for me. I still am going to fix the dw first. I already have a jks track bar and a reinforced axle mount. I just replaced the tie rod and drag link with the ZJ one. Next on the list is going to be new upper and lower adjustable control arms and new bushings on the axle. I am praying that after all this and another garage alignment I should be done with the wobble. Then I can start looking at lift ideas. Most likely will just start with a 3.5" lift using junkyard / used parts. Thanks for all the advice.

:idea:If you don't have $ for aftermarket controlarms this is what I did for my first lift where the lower mount on unibody is you can shim it out hit the pick a parts I took 50 for good messure 1/4 inch is good for 3 inches no death wobble I also moved my trackbar 1/2 to the left side drilled new hole worked great

Back