• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Driveshaft grease and lube problems

JoJoDaKilla

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 NP231. I want to see if anyone knows how to completely grease one up the driveshaft from tcase back. Problem I've been having is that it looks like none of the write ups are for a 1990 model and my driveshaft is the 2 piece one. Not the one with the boot that's near the tcase. When I was wheeling one day and got done, and got up to speed and let off the gas it would make a clunk sound. Now the thing is once the vehicle was home and cooled down I took it out later and it made no such noise. Just drove fine, it does pop from underneath the drivers seat when gassed real hard from a stop or going up a hill. I just changed tcase fluid too. I just need help on doing an older Cherokee not a fancy 91 up model or whenever it was they changed driveshafts. Plus my repair manual only says how to get it out. Could I just pull a newer driveshaft out of another Cherokee or are their problems with that?

The only two piece I have ever seen was on m S10 that had a carrier bearing and a front driveshaft to carrier bearing then a universal and the second part to the rear axle.
Are you talking about a slip yoke driveshaft that has the slip yoke on the drive shaft vs the transfer case ?

So I'd assume with slip yoke connected to driveshaft and not transfercase.

That actually should be lubed, special lube from what I remember, not just grease.

On a 95 or earlier it's lubed by the transfer case oil as far as I know, so just make sure the TC is topped off with dex/merc, check the seal, and call it a day.

Alright well I lifted the rear end today because when driving home from work it just kept squeaking from the driveshaft. Really gets loud when going up hills and it sometimes quits when a bump is hit. I couldn't reproduce the sound when lifted off the ground because there's no pressure on it. It's just got me stumped and po'd about it. I just want my jeep acting normal which I know is alot to ask. Thanks guys and the drive shaft is just a welded yoke at each end.

take a pic and post it cuz im confused by ur descriptioneither way if it squeeks while driving its u-joints not the shaft itself. unless u have greasable u-joints which ull see a grease zirc on it u gotta take it apart and put grease in the caps themselves

Back