• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four Corners Trip 2010

jakeWI

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got back from my trip about a week and a half early. The trip itself was great. My write up is kind of half a** because I became sick early on but I'll do my best haha. I will probably be doing single days at a time because I jumped right into working again at home.

My girlfriend and I left around 6:30 am on March 17, 2010. It was a gloomy drive until we reached central Nebraska. We ended up driving from South Eastern Wisconsin to Colorado Springs, Colorado. So basically we drove from about 1050 miles just to get it out of the way which ended up 16 1/2 hours including stops. We were going stop in Nebraska but it was early in the day still so we trucked on. We ended up sleeping in the Ford Explorer in a Super Walmart parking lot.

Our first stop in the morning is going to be Garden of the Gods.

P.S-Nebraska is not as boring of a drive as North Dakota.

Well we woke up early this morning. It was a chilly night. Once we woke up we got situated and then headed to Garden of the Gods. We ended up getting there around 5:30 Mountain time. The place was packed full of early morning runners.

IMG_3068.jpg

After we walked around there for a bit, we headed to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. It was still looking gloomy and I was hoping it would lift. We set up camp at site 4 in loop 1. It was a great looking site with a good view of the dunes. Once we arrived we soon found out the dunes are 30 square miles in whole.

Our goal was to head up to the very top of the dunes. Our first attempt was halted by rain/snow and thunder. It cleared up and we made a second go at it. The hike is a bigger PITA then it looks. Loose sand, steep hills and we were fighting a strong discouraging wind that followed the mini storm. After several thoughts of turning around we made it, FINALLY!!! It was a beautiful view. Took about 2-3 hours of fighting the wind and sand to make it to the top and about 45 minutes down! I like down much better.

Afterwards we made diner and went to bed, Extremely tired!

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

Proof! Doesnt do it justice.
IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

Then before bed
IMG_3140.jpg

Thanks Handlebars.

One thing I want to say quick to. If any of the photos to come look bad, I haven't edited any of them yet or done any type of color corrections. haha, still hope you enjoy.

May 19 2010:
Well today started out terrible. Began waking up at 1 am and every so often after that. Some how I have a stomach flu (now believe it may have been a form of elevation sickness or so). The day was pretty miserable. Angela drove the whole way to Mesa Verde National Park. Camping costs were higher then posted on their website, or at least when I was doing research. Good thing they have showers and they are FREE!

IMG_3141.jpg

I was slowly feeling better so we drove to the visitor center and farview cafe and giftshop. I needed to eat something so I bought a cup of soup.

We then visited Park Way overlook which is the highest point in the park. Then off to Spruce Tree cliff dwellings. The dwelling are truly impressive to say the least. Many of them date to around 1500 years ago with modifications over time. There is a petrograph trail there as well. Hoping to save it for tomorrow.

On our way back to Moorfield campground (site 58) we stopped at farview ruins and Farview tower.

Hope I feel better tomorrow.

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Well I feel a little better today. Probably around 90%. Woke up early today and went and checked out the Mesa Loop. It was interested to see the Pit house's. Afterwards, Angela and I went to see the Cliff Palace, the largest cliff dwellings in North America and they were just amazing. Then we saw the Balcony house which is not as fun for people who are claustrophobic or afraid of heights, Im both. Also the tunnels crawled through were a tight squeeze, much more then they made it seem. The cliff dwellings are impressive. Some of them would have required a lot of guts to climb up or down using foot holds on the face of a cliff. It is un-believable the amount of work they would have taken and some dating back 1500 years.

Then it was on to the Petrograph hike which is 2.8 miles and fairly strenuous. The elevation kills my breathing. Make sure you drink a lot of water!

Then showered and did laundry today because who knows when we'll get another chance.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

well, we need to plan a 4x4 trip out there sometime anyway haha. that is if you dont make the radical decision to go to Germany for school or whatever if was you were talking about haha.

Today we drove through the desert to the Grand Canyon. On the way we planned on stopping at the Four Corners Monument, but only to find out it was closed due to construction/renovation. When we got there we found out the only camping left on the South Rim was at Desert View campground. We found site #10 to be our home for the night. After setting up camp we took off site seeing. I have been to the Grand Canyon before but Angela has not. First stop was the tower since it is basically across the way. Afterwards we stopped at the Visitor Center, Market Place, Kolb Studio and then Hermits Rest. The architecture by Mary Jane Colter (One of the main architect of the old buildings of the GC) was really great. It flows with the landscape well.
The west end of the park seemed overcrowded already and it was early in the season. That end also hosts the large Mathers campground and lodges. The commotion was slightly irritating. We are going to head to Zion Tomorrow because I don't know if I am up for the 2 day hike to the bottom of the canyon and up. The desert, sand, sun, and heat are getting to me.

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

BLAME CALI for hazy views. What don't they do. Steal water from Colorado and ruin the views of the Grand Canyon in AZ. jerks.
IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

Last edited:
Today we were off towards Zion National Park in Utah from the Grand Canyon. Much of the way we drove a scenic route which was AZ 89A. The drive itself was beautiful and was worth any possible longer time it took to get to out next destination. The drive got even better once we reached the Kaibab Natonal Forest up around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There were trees/pines and it was great. We stopped at Jacob's Lake for breakfast which was a touristy area but still nice. Then finally reached Zion National Park earlier in the day around 10 am maybe. Found out all the camping was full and so was every campground, hotel and motel within 30 miles of the park. We were pretty upset because with no place to stay it really cut into the things we could accomplish during our visit. The city/town on the southside of the park, I think it was called Springdale was a busy yuppie town. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice town but it was def. a vacation area. We decided that with the money we saved by not being able to camp there we would use and go on a mule/horse ride through Zion National Park. We did a few of the hikes such as the Emerald Pools. We wanted to go up part of the way of Angel's Landing but didn't have the time. I know I wouldn't be able to do the whole thing, wouldn't even try because it wouldn't have been safe with my fear of heights.

After all of that we decided we would head to Bryce Canyon National Park in hopes to find somewhere to stay. Once we got there, which it was late we found out that there was no camping there either. One cool thing was that I saw a Ford Conversion Earthroamer, looked pretty sweet. Best Western built a crazy town/village/hotel right outside the park. In no way would it be full, it was to large. Sure shit it was full. We ended up finding another hotel to stay at for the night which was sure nice to finally shower and sleep in a bed. So that was a nice change.

Zion was a beautiful park. It was much more then I expected. Anyway, heres some pictures from Zion.

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

Not at all. Haha. Im just glad the worst parts of it only lasted for about two days. It took about 3-4 days to get back to 95%.

Well after getting a good night sleep in a warm bed and a nice hot shower it was time to go explore Bryce Canyon National Park. We weren't planning on staying another night because we didn't want to pay that much again to stay in a hotel. So we did as much hiking and looking around as we could. We ate lunch at the lodge which was ok. The lodge isn't as spectacular as Yellowstone or Grand Canyon but its still nice. We hiked the Upper Rim Trail as well as the trails leading to the Waterfall and Mossy Cave. The waterfall was about 10-15 feet tall. I didn't include any pictures of the mossy cave. Not sure if any really turned out.

Here's some pictures:

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

So since I was slacking for the last couple days, figured I would get back on track.

Well after visiting beautiful Bryce Canyon it was time to continue our drive through UTAH. After it being real hard to find camping anywhere in Utah we figured it might be near impossible to find camping in Capitol Reef National Park. Nonetheless Capitol Reef National Park was our next stop. We drove Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef. All I can say of the drive is WOW! Great scenery along the way. Everything from dusty desert like areas into a "Rocky Mountain" picturesque scene. There were a bunch of 4x4 trails that lead off the Highway. Legal ones that were marked by state and national forestry signs which was great to see. We ended up getting to Capitol Reef National Park late in the day. The sun was setting and wouldn't be up much longer. There were signs saying camping was full all over. I went into the visitor center before they closed to double check. The ranger said as far as he knew they were all gone. The couple ahead of us said they just saw one more open campsite so I ran out the door to hopefully get my hands on it. Once I drove through loop A in the Fruita Campground it wasn't looking good. But wait, could it be. I rubbed my eyes. There was one last site available. We ended up nabbing a walk in tent site. The site was #45. It was a great feeling to know we were able to get it. We set up camp and cooked some dinner.

Capitol Reef National Park was much more then I had anticipated. There was desert surrounding a green oasis around the river that ran through. There was an old settlement farmstead that as been preserved as a monument to the park. Old orchards still stood and when the fruit was in bloom guests could pick and eat for free. If one were wanting to take some home, there would be a small fee. The home and barn were in great shape and the home was turned into a mini museum with homemade deserts/pastries for sale.

Anyway, onto the pictures:

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

great pics jake, i would love to do a trip like this someday till then i will enjoy reading yours and looking at the great pics

Today Angela and I headed over to Canyonlands National Park. We drove through the park. Most of the hikes were way longer then we were thinking so we just stopped along the scenic overlooks. There was some great scenery in the park! Of course we just missed a campsite by about 30 minutes so we weren't camping there.

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

After Canyonlands National Park we headed over to Arches National Park to poke around. Again, great views! Some of the Arches we took a close look at were Delicate Arch, Tunnel Arch, Landscape Arch, Pine Tree Arch and Twin Arches among others.

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

Utah in general has been beautiful. The scenery has a little bit of everything making it unique. When you here someone say that they could spend years there and find something new to explore, believe them! One thing about Utah was expensive gasoline. In Utah it was on average around $3.40 while surrounding states were around $2.68!

More great pics!

I have some of the same ones. It almost seems like you could randomly point your camera in any direction in southern Utah and take a picture of some great scenery :D

I can't wait to get back out there next year.

More great pics!

I have some of the same ones. It almost seems like you could randomly point your camera in any direction in southern Utah and take a picture of some great scenery :D

I can't wait to get back out there next year.

Very true John haha! The only trouble with some of mine out there is all the sun. But otherwise it is just breathtaking.

Back