• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a junkyard exhaust for a 2000 xj

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My son picked up a 2000 xj for cheap. Naturally they cut the exhaust for the cat conv. My question is will a Grand Cherokee or any other jeep exhaust work with a little modification. Just trying to save him some money for:lecture:

does it have a cat? pretty sure you can make just about any cat work, but might just want to grab one off an XJ. and as far as cat backs go, you can get them for like $120 on ebay.

I know the 2000 uses 4 O2 sensors. I not sure where they are located. they cut the exhaust at the bend in the cross over where it turns tward the back. So I know it's missing a few O2 sens. just not sure where they go.:dunno: I've tried to search for a pic of stock exhaust online no luck. I must not be holding my tongue right or putting the right words in google.

I know the 2000 uses 4 O2 sensors. I not sure where they are located. they cut the exhaust at the bend in the cross over where it turns tward the back. So I know it's missing a few O2 sens. just not sure where they go.:dunno: I've tried to search for a pic of stock exhaust online no luck. I must not be holding my tongue right or putting the right words in google.

not all 2000's came with 4 o2 sensors. The california emissions equipped ones did so if his xj is cali emissions equipped then he should be looking for that. My 2000 does not have 4 o2 sensors-it has one before the cat and one after the cat.

not all 2000's came with 4 o2 sensors. The california emissions equipped ones did so if his xj is cali emissions equipped then he should be looking for that. My 2000 does not have 4 o2 sensors-it has one before the cat and one after the cat.

Thanks, should have known California was behind something like that. I'll look real close when I get the chance.

Id run the VIN and find out if it was a "Cali" model,if so you'll have to redo it with all the cats and O2 sensors.

If you have the two precats you have 4 O2 sensors. The precats will be located right after the exhaust manifold. One pair of O2 sensors will be right above the precats in the manifolds. The other pair will be right below the precats, prior to where the two pipes join in to the single main pipe.

You can also determine the rough location (and number of O2 sensors required) by the number of cables you have cut/dangling. Hopefully they cut them on the sensor side of the connectors.

Rock Auto has pretty good schematics of the exhaust systems. If it were me, and I was trying to save money, I'd get the complete exhaust from someone on craigslist who was parting one out. Get it undisturbed all in one piece. The newer exhausts were all stainless from the factory and last (almost) forever.

Check the emissions decal under the hood--49 state emissions o2 sensors x2; 50 state emissions o2 sensors x4, or as said above if there are mini-CATs in the exhaust manifold it is 50 state emissions and o2 sensors x4.

On my 98' XJ i scored a magnaflow direct fit cat from ebay, new, for $100 shipped, and dynomax had a $50 rebate going on their catback, so after rebate that came out to $100 shipped. $200 total for a new cat to the tail pipe, with decent sound and excellent fit... you can't go wrong.

Don't discount getting quotes from your local muffler shops, you might be pleasantly surprised at what they would charge you for a pretty good system.

Agreed. Especially the locally owned shops. If you arent looking for performance they have a lot of recently removed mufflers from other people wanting to upgrade and leave their old stuff there. You could be looking at about 120 or somewhere in the ballpark for an exhaust.....

Back