• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tire wobble

Indian Joe

NAXJA Forum User
I'll to keep this short here goes: "97 XJ, auto w/66,000 miles. Put new tires on it, couple weeks later while driving another guy motions to me that my rim looks loose. I pull over and 3 of the lugs are real loose, tighten them up and check the rest. Rim still wobbles, go back to the tire dealer the check it and now the rim is bent. So I go buy a new one, have it mounted, on the road check it out, still wobbles. Someone says bent axle, get under the car, no leaks in or around the rear housing, pull the brake drums no leaks. Now I'm really p...ed off.
Anyone have ideas what is going on? Appreciate any suggestions.

Axle flange could be bent, due to an accident, and maybe wasn't noticed at repair time. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, and spin them to see if they spin true. Twice I've found out of round tires that drove me nuts thinking they were out of balance. And, don't forget to re-torque the lug nuts a few hundred miles after removing and replacing them. I've had them work loose as well.

Back