• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

funny noise

bigdumbfun

NAXJA Forum User
'93 4.0L 4WD- When I get on it hard from a stop, I hear a noise like a rotating part brushing against sheet metal. It goes away after I let off or after about a second. Only from a dead stop though. Sounds like it is coming from the transmission area. Anyone????

How are your engine and trans mounts?

Automatic? If so, check the torque converter to flexplate bolts for tightness.

I replaced motor mounts last fall so I am assuming that they are okay. Trans mount looked good at the time. I'll check them all again. I was kinda thinking flex plate myself but I wasn't sure what I needed to do to get to it. Thanks for the input, Joe.

I'd bet on mounts, also check to make sure there aren't any cables hanging near the driveshafts or exhaust, check to see if your fans are invading your radiator's personal space, and make sure the exhaust hangars are all in decent shape and that the exhaust is not banging on the tranny crossmember, diff pinion, or spring shackle / gas tank.

Same noise happened with my 96 tonight! Just got home late and parked it. Happened from a dead stop. I just pulled a light utility trailer about 60 miles, the jeep did it easy enough, but it had to work a little. I was on the highway doing 65+ mph so it was downshifting to hold speed up hills and what not. Fluid get too hot possibly? It felt weird taking off from a stop sign in my neighborhood so i stopped again, stood on it, and it make that screaching/grinding sound. Sounded like tranny area, and the jeep seemed to hesitate, i let out as soon as i heard it. Tranny fluid is dark, but not burnt, plenty full. Would it be worth a shot to change the fluid?

My '93 used to do exactly the same thing, maybe like a bunch of pebbles in a rotating coffee can and never on a slow start. I never did find it and it quit at some point, I guess several years ago. I had forgotten about it till you brought it up. There were several threads at the time but I couldn't begin to tell you where to start searching.

I could be completely wrong but I seem to recall that the consensus at the time was that it probably had to do with something loose on or about the exhaust system. I don't think I've messed with the exhaust or AW4 mount since then, but am getting ready to put in a new mount -- hope it doesn't come back....

Back