• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Speed sensor

engine speed sensor? Assuming you mean a crankshaft position sensor or vehicle speed sensor?

VSS - there isn't one, it's a mechanical cable to the speedo/odo
CPS - don't sub one, buy the part and install it

EDIT: you can find a replacement on rockauto.com probably. They generally have very good pricing. It's under Engine -> Crankshaft Position Sensor.

There is one VSS actually but it is only used for Cruise Control and is completely unnecessary for normal operation of anything else.

The Crank sensor is essential, the only alternative is to run an aftermarket harmonic balancer based crank sensor kit which costs more and isn't as reliable as the OEM.

Sorry guys, but I'm playing intermediary here and trying to find answers to ask questions by. Not my vehicle but a plea from another owner. According to the FSM I have, it's located under the intake manifold on the drivers side engine block. If it's the VSS, then that's cool.

I know the CPS is essential. Let me ask some more questions of the owner.

... you're correct... should have remembered that one. It's the funky little one mounted halfway up the speedo cable under the dash, right?

Agreed on it not causing any engine problems though.

EDIT: ah, that explains things perfectly! What are the symptoms? Good luck on getting it fixed.

Ok, now I have a bit more info and find the speed sensor was just a guess. Sorry, but I should have had better info in the first place.

Here was my reply from the owner,

The jeep wont go slow, While idling through the property,it starts to hesitate,when i give it gas ,the pedal goes to the floor and the engine has hard time catching up, Vapor lock feeling. On the road moving it is fine, Also all of these problems are intermittent, and when i start it , it idles very very high and wont kick down, so i turn it on and off until engine slows down.

Kelly feels that it may be the speed sensor,others say possible vacuum leak.

I am at a loss with this. Have replaced recently; IAC,Throttle control, Tune up,distributor cap, rotter,fuel pump and filter. Any ideas you have or how to is Greatly appreciated.

I know little to nothing on the Renix system and any suggestions I could offer would probably be of little value.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... sounds like a vacuum leak or possibly a throttle position sensor. Doesn't sound like CPS to me. I would also say fuel pump and filter but apparently they've been replaced already - check fuel pressure to make sure it's not a defective pump.

the speed sensor is a non issue as said before it just for cruise control. it sounds like a bad tps or its out of adjustment. also, the sensor under the exhaust manifold is the cts(coolant temp sensor) for the ecu. this could affect the engine air fuel mix.

the speed sensor is a non issue as said before it just for cruise control. it sounds like a bad tps or its out of adjustment. also, the sensor under the exhaust manifold is the cts(coolant temp sensor) for the ecu. this could affect the engine air fuel mix.

Agree, the knock sensor and CTS coolant temperature sensor for the ECU input is what is under the manifolds.

Here is a link to Renix sensors and testing, BOOKMARK IT if you are going to be trying to help on Renix in the future: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm this site is full of info.

Back