• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flex plate holes

ju82takata

NAXJA Forum User
I checked my flexplate bolts and they were loose. I tightened them up and the noise went away. The bolt holes in the flexplate are slightly enlongated, do you guys think that it will be ok or should it be replaced?

I think it should be OK, the ones I've seen fail, fail in the center, by the crankshaft, not out by the torque converter bolts.

I think it should be OK, the ones I've seen fail, fail in the center, by the crankshaft, not out by the torque converter bolts.

Agree, I would just run it--put checking those bolts on your regular maintenance schedule.

I know it sounds as though the decision has already been made to leave the flexplate in there, but my professional advice to you is to change it out at the next possible opportunity. Elongated holes are never a good thing where rotational forces are concerned, and the eventual failure of the flexplate will occur much more rapidly the longer it is left in there. Imagine what type of repair you may be making after the flexplate fails while you are driving it, while it has a strong rotating force on it. Keep in mind your bellhousing is made of aluminum, Ive already replaced two of them, they arent that tough.

Did yours fail around the crank mounting bolts? I was thinking about replacing it but don't want to spend the time on it if I can get by just keeping an eye on the bolts and checking for cracks.

Back