• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D30 question?

boostless

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy just put a D44 in his tj and I can pretty much have his D30. The reason I want to do this is to get rid of the disco axle. The only problem is that I would need to swap over my knuckles on to the TJ 30. Is the possible? I would be using the axles out of the TJ 30 going into the XJ disco knuckles.

The TJ axle is low pinion, which is a strength downgrade over your high pinion axle.

There are some write ups detailing how to use a solid axle on the passenger side of a Disco housing, getting rid of the two piece shaft on that side. Use the one piece shafts from the TJ D30, and put an inner shaft seal inside the differential, you should be good to go.

As far as knuckles, they are the same.

Don't bother putting the TJ axle under your Jeep.

As I said, the knuckles mount the exact same.

What year TJ, and what year XJ?

They'll mount the same. Driveshaft length may become an issue.

I'd just use the TJ knuckles and brakes. No need to go through all that work to swap everything over. Steering will bolt up just fine, unless the knuckles have been drilled or reamed out.

Then its as easy as swapping over. Use your rotors, calipers, unit bearings, and knuckles.

Or just use the shafts and search on how to convert your vacuum disco housing over to a 1 peice pass. side shaft. There are lots of threads around and with the seal numbers for the pass side. That way you'll still have the high pinion axle and the gears will be the same.

Xwhatever, swap the shaft and add the seal, you'd be putting work into installing a worse axle than the one you have if you swap the whole thing.

If you really want to waste that kind of effort, find me an MJ d44 and I'll give you my 35 for it.

Xwhatever, swap the shaft and add the seal, you'd be putting work into installing a worse axle than the one you have if you swap the whole thing.

If you really want to waste that kind of effort, find me an MJ d44 and I'll give you my 35 for it.

just order dana 60's and send me the bill...

I'd be less concerned about the gear strength issue that a lot of people overhype and more concerned with driveshaft clearance on a LP axle.

However I know that getting those disco housings to seal up after a one-piece shaft conversion can be a *****.

Back