• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will gas tank fit?

Straps look to be the same on both in the parts catalog...
You will need a new fuel sending unit as well, from an XJ equipped with the larger tank (20.2 gallon) and the same engine (assuming 4.0L.)

Other than that everything is the same.

Straps look to be the same on both in the parts catalog...
You will need a new fuel sending unit as well, from an XJ equipped with the larger tank (20.2 gallon) and the same engine (assuming 4.0L.)

Other than that everything is the same.

Agree, new fuel pump assembly, rest should go Ok.

Kastein, would that 13 gal tank work in an MJ?

My bet is no (almost all MJ stuff is different from the seats back, and heck, even different LWB vs SWB) but I'll check real quick.

EDIT: XJ part numbers -
8350 0267 (13.5gal, carbed or diesel) or 5300 3062 (carbed) or 5300 3066 (diesel)
8350 2633 (13.5gal, 2.5L or 4.0L) or 8350 4484 (2.5L) or 8350 4487 (4.0L)
8350 0267 (20.2gal, carbed or diesel) - note this is the same part number as the 13.5gal above :huh:
8350 2633 (20.2gal, fuel injected) - note this is another same number

I think, but don't know for sure, that the 20.2 gallon tank replaced the 13.5 and after a certain point in time, if you ask for a 13.5 you get a 20.2 anyways. That might explain the number soup above.

MJ part numbers are even worse... even more confusing, conflicting, and full of "or use this" numbers. But none of them are the same as any of the XJ numbers. What I can tell you for sure is that the sender on an MJ is clocked almost exactly opposite (it angles sideways, but on the other side), the fill and vent tubes are on the side opposite the sender hole instead of on an end, and the LWB tank has 3 mounting straps while the SWB has two which I think are spaced differently from those on an XJ.

I am really glad I've never tried to order an OEM tank from a mopar supplier using these numbers, I've always just gone on rockauto, hit the junkyard, or bought on the classifieds here. To say this section of the 87-90 catalog confuses me is an understatement.

Last edited:
so my 89 waggie has the 13 gal gas tank and i already have the larger 19 gal tank (i believe) will it fit or is it a big pain in a&& to make fit?????:dunno:
Both tanks are the same inside and out except the inside vent hangs down further in the "13 gallon" tank keeping it from filling all the way up.

The Go-Jeep site shows how to modify a 19 gal. tank to hold more, mine will take 22 gal. when empty which is very nice on vacation.

Here's a link; http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm My take on the modification is at the bottom of the page. I've modified both of ours, 89 and 96.

Both tanks are the same inside and out except the inside vent hangs down further in the "13 gallon" tank keeping it from filling all the way up.

The Go-Jeep site shows how to modify a 19 gal. tank to hold more, mine will take 22 gal. when empty which is very nice on vacation.

Here's a link; http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm My take on the modification is at the bottom of the page. I've modified both of ours, 89 and 96.

thanks that looks great i think we'er gonna try that :idea: :cheers:

well the tank fit just fine just to let everyone know and tractor supply sells 7in long threded hooks that work great for hanger bolts a little tight getting in but for 1.29$ each it beats 59.00$ dealer only tank hanger bolts

Back