• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery issues with '91 Laredo

YosemiteJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I took the negative cable off a few days ago while I was changing the head gasket/ cleaning around. When I recconect the negative cable, the security lights junk flashes (emergency lights, headlights, ect) which its always done. Usually clicking the Keyless entry button stops it, but its not working this time. I tried swapping out the batteries in the button, but Not sure what else to do. Is it even normal to do this in the first place?

Yes, this is normal, the sentry alarm goes off every time you reconnect the battery. And yes, it is normal for the remote to stop working.

If you no longer have the remote, or it doesn't work, then you will need to use the key to unlock one of the front doors or trunk as CJand7'sXJ said. There are rotary sensors on the tips of the lock cylinders that will disarm the system, and you will be able to start and operate your vehicle like normal again.

Okay, I had a moment. I realized the door sensors weren't working, then wondered why. Later I realized, "oh yeah, I removed the doors and wiring" Anyway, I tried it with the rear hatch, but nothing. I'll try again to see if it changed its mind since last night haha But is there any fuse or wire I can work with to get it to stop?

Ok, I'm posting this to help all those with this issue (hopefully they find this haha) If you have the door lock solenoid/sensor w/ the wiring on it, you can use that to hook up to the wiring in the kickpanel, turn the key whichever way it says, and unhook it. This SHOULD, repeat SHOULD, work to disable the alarm. It worked for mine when the door was intact but I've yet to try it with the sensor/lock alone. Should be the same result because its the same wires. Keep it in the vehicle in case the batt. cable gets bumped off in the parking lot (happened to me, luckily the button was still working then) Best of luck!

I had issues with my factory security system on my 91 limited. i also have no door lock on the drivers side due to a break in. that made the lights on and off a real problem since it unlocked with just the remote but the rotary switch was trashed. I found that you can eliminate the factrory alarm system by locating it in the top of the under dash area and following a specific proceedure to remove the module. If you do it incorrectly, you will lock out the ecm and it will need to get reprogrammed. I cannot remember which site I found the method but it was something like have car in non alarming state and key on and then remove or something like that. Please check to confirm proper proceedure. Mine was causing me battery drain issues that disappeared when I pulled the module out.

Back