• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 2 door planning

ASTROdog

NAXJA Forum User
Well due to some more research and some new opportunities, time to start doing some serious planning. Lack of planning = open your wallet :doh: been there done that.

The background: 86 jx 2 door 2.8 5 speed. Was origionally going to keep this and work with it, but I think as soon as I'm up to it, I should muscle it up a bit.

What I'm going to use it for: Still debating this. May use it as a (possibly limited) daily driver, may end up going nuts on it and putting it down for long periods of time to do these modifications. Either way, I need it dependable and able to handle 50+ miles and road trips if I choose to use it. I would also like to be able to handle the trail, but having said that it doesn't have to be a monster.

Here's my questions:

1) I've got the opportunity to pick up a rolled 2000 blazer for an engine/trans/transfer case swap. 4.3 vortec v6 (190hp/250tq). Would the stock unibody be able to handle the additional power? I've read the origional trans and transfer case isn't that strong, and I'm also wondering if anything along the driveline at all won't be able to handle the power (axles, etc), but mostly concerned about the stamped unibody.

2) I've got to replace the floor due to rust. Should I be looking at replacing anything else while it's all apart? The rails look ok from what I've seen. I'm going to be picking up a welder within the next month so I'll be able to handle the hard stuff, even if it has to wait for me to learn. I just need a "what breaks if you don't replace/bolster it" list if one exists.

3) Should I POR15 the underside while I've got it apart to prevent more rust? Has anyone had any problem with scraping it off on rocks, etc?

4) How strong are the stock unibody rails? Is there a common strengthening technique? What's out there for roll bar assemblies?

5) I'll have a perfectly good chevy 4x4 chassis laying around if I choose to use it. Would I be better off finding a way to sit the jeep unibody on top of this? I would rather not, if there's ways to strengthen up the stock unibody rails (or if they're strong enough). I'd have to find a way to do a SFA swap on the chevy chassis, and I'd probably have issues fitting it in my garage if it was too tall right now. I only ask about the swap because the wheelbase is only 2 inches off (the blazer is a 2 door as well).

6) I'm thinking of a mild lift sooner than later; right now this thing comes closer to tucking tire than my first street truck.

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album320/newestpic.sized.jpg

What would be a good noob-accessable lift that would give me around 3-4 inches? For the next couple of years at least, this all has to fit into my townhouse garage so I don't want to go too tall.

7) Is there any literature I should bone up on about working with XJ's or 4x4's in general? I'm a 4x4 noob (but not a stranger to custom mechanical/electrical/general vehicular customizing).

Please post any ideas or comments about my game plan (or lack thereof), would be most appreciated before I start getting the materials in line. Thank you.

Last edited:
You can buy frame hardeners, and I know a few people who have done that same engine swap. Works fine, I think you just need an adapter for the tranny, dunno if the chevy tranny is stronger or not. As far as switching out body/frame, deffinetly now. The unibody is strong enough and I'm pretty impossable and not worth the effort.

I would go with a 4.5-6.5" lift, not to big and It should be good enough for most trails

A 4.5-6" lift won't fit in a townhouse garage though- none that I have seen anyways. How tall is your garage door opening?

I have a 4.5" lift and I fit into a normal garage now that I took my roofrack off. Oh, and I am on 37's. As far as the 4.3 swap, I do not think you will have any trouble with the added power, as it is similar to the 4.0. I am planning on pulling the vortec 4.3 out of my truck next summer if I can afford a 350, and putting that in my jeep with a 700r4 and 231C. You will want to change your tranny, and the easiest solution will be to keep the tranny and transfer case from the blazer you get the engine from.

85cherokeechief said:
I have a 4.5" lift and I fit into a normal garage now that I took my roofrack off. Oh, and I am on 37's. As far as the 4.3 swap, I do not think you will have any trouble with the added power, as it is similar to the 4.0. I am planning on pulling the vortec 4.3 out of my truck next summer if I can afford a 350, and putting that in my jeep with a 700r4 and 231C. You will want to change your tranny, and the easiest solution will be to keep the tranny and transfer case from the blazer you get the engine from.

is there anything I need to do with the transmission crossmember and/or mounting the transfer case? Should I just try and graft the blazer pieces there too?

I just measured, I have 81 inches until the garage door. The other pain in the butt is I only have about 8.5-9 feet of width to play with, unless I feel like kicking the fiance's (wife in 4 weeks) car out of the garage, and in that case I'd better get better aquainted with my couch :doh: lol.

I could move my workbench and gain a foot though, to put in the wider stance I'd want.

hmmm....

91Woody said:
A 4.5-6" lift won't fit in a townhouse garage though- none that I have seen anyways. How tall is your garage door opening?

Garage, we don't need no stinking gay-rage, lol

Naw Mine stay outside, Especialy the blue one, its got 12 inches of lift on it on 35's

regretably, part of our association rules states you can't leave vehicles outside the garage (wording aimed at project vehicles/anything but stock economy cars). yeah, I know, stupid, but it was either this or stay at the apartment. 5 year plan is to build up some equity, build my credit, save a little here and there, and be into a real house sooner than later. Gotta play the hand you're dealt sometimes :-/

Last edited:
yeah, we had that at my old house, except we had a 2 car garage and 4 cars, 2 of which were my jeeps.

thats my jeep 2 years ago with 3.5" lift and 20's, after we moved it got 12 inches, 36" tsl's, and has no doors

zacscrib.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, alot to consider here....

First thing that strikes me is your idea to try to use the '00 S-10 frame and running gear....... Not a good idea. The frame under the S-10 is wide and low in the middle - not the best candidate to try to stack the XJ onto, you'll have severe ground clearance issues in the middle.

Second, the '00 4.3 is a bit more of a complex engine - if you're planning on using the computer, fuel injection and transmission with the swap. Could be a nightmare getting the systems working as a direct swap into the '86. Earlier versions of the 4.3 ('91 - '95) are easier to work with and will take a non-computer transmission like the 700R4.

Personally, if all you're planning on doing to the '86 is make it a decent driver with mild lift, look for a 3.4L out of the '93 - '95 Camaro/Firebird. The 3.4 is a direct bolt-in swap for the 2.8L and is easilly adapted to an Edelbrock carb/manifold set up if emissions isn't a huge issue where you live.

Do some searching about engine swaps using "vortec" and "4.3 swap" - you'll find alot of good info.

As far as frame strengthening, the 3.4 and 4.3 engines aren't going to tax the unibody bad enough to worry about strengthening - unless you've got serious rust issues. But again, searching about this topic will lead you to some good threads.

cool, thanks for the input.

a note on the 4.3 wiring: I'm pretty handy electrically, and am very well versed in 4.3's. I've been pretty deep into the GM S-series community for the last 4-5 years. Ideally, I'd find a 95 or older S10/Sonoma with a 4.3 tbi (holley 220). Hard to find with a 5 speed 4x4 though. Electrical on those is dead nuts simple. However, I have built a wiring harness before for a 97 4.3 vortec, which was more complex than this setup since it was a 4L60E auto. That part doesn't present an impassible obstacle... just a pita. I'm not too worried about direct swap. If I find the right setup I'm more than willing to find a beater and lay this thing up long enough to do it right.

Having said that, the more I think about it I won't jump on the 2000 right away. I'm going to keep my eyes out for an older one.

Back