• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post Flop Suggestions

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well this weekend I flopped my beloved XJ at Rausch Creek. Everyone was okay, which is all we can really ever ask for, and the jeep still runs perfectly.

31055_641384737925_24400668_36269684_2376927_n.jpg

I was on a green trail of all things, but I was being dumb and tried going up a rock I shouldn't have (seen on the left). Rolled it Passenger -> Roof -> Driver then a tree saved me the rest of the damn hill. I never realized just how much work it can take to right a flopped rig.

Now, it would appear that it is time the heep became a dedicated trail rig. I am thinking of not bothering to replace the broken glass, just give it a roll cage and tow it around. What kind of prices am I looking at for a basic exocage. Most likely take off the doors and fenders the fenders are pretty damn bent up. I do not have any welding skills but I do know people that can most likely cut me a deal on the labor.

Scrap body, get new one swap good shit over. Call it done. Xj's are so cheap now it's not worth going through all that work and not know what's really tweaked or what weak spots can be hidden in that unibody now.

Scrap body, get new one swap good shit over. Call it done. Xj's are so cheap now it's not worth going through all that work and not know what's really tweaked or what weak spots can be hidden in that unibody now.

X2, unless you have alot of money into weld on long arms and rear coil convertion and other cool stuff it aint worth it

the body may be bent up, but its rust free from socal...which is a rare thing in upstate NY

Oh I know all about trying to find a rust free xj trust me. haha well if you do go the wonton and cage route kudos. it's going to be an experience.

Ask yourself if you really have the time and money for a dedicated trail rig. Do you already have a truck that is capable of towing 5k lbs or more? Trailer? Garage to store a Jeep with no roof all the time? Do you really wheel enough to have a trail rig? if you are from NY and go to RC, that's a helluva drive.

I'm with the 'buy a new XJ and swap everything over' crowd. Now you have a second chance to do everything you wish you did the first time.

And what trail did you flop on? I've had a few close calls at RC doing stupid stuff, especially in the comp course.

Call your insurance company????

Sorry to see you flopped your rig. I have to go with the "find another XJ and build that one" plan. Unless you already have a tow rig/trailer/tube bender/welder, your looking at being "out of commission" at least until winter time, and spending a BUNCH of money to rebuild an already heavily tweaked XJ into a trail rig.

If you score another XJ, for about $1500-$2000 and a long weekend you'll be trail riding again.

A.

Ask yourself if you really have the time and money for a dedicated trail rig. Do you already have a truck that is capable of towing 5k lbs or more? Trailer? Garage to store a Jeep with no roof all the time? Do you really wheel enough to have a trail rig? if you are from NY and go to RC, that's a helluva drive.

I'm with the 'buy a new XJ and swap everything over' crowd. Now you have a second chance to do everything you wish you did the first time.

And what trail did you flop on? I've had a few close calls at RC doing stupid stuff, especially in the comp course.
I've driven down there 3 times in the last few months (from central mass, which is admittedly closer than northern NY), all for short weekend trips - it's really not that big a deal.

I'm with the rest - find a new rust free body, swap everything over. I just picked up a running (sorta) driving (sorta) almost completely rust free 98 XJ with a bunch of spare parts for 1k.

Shop around - CL is your best friend here. You can probably find a lot of people selling fairly clean XJs on there who think it has a blown tranny, or a bad engine, or something terrible wrong with it due to NSS, TPS, and O2 sensor issues.

EDIT - or chop the top off, buy a new one as a backup / new rig, beat the bag outta the old one till it folds like a taco THEN swap everything over :scottm:

I'm with the swap it over crowd. I have a dedicated trail rig and I would do things differently now. I'd rather have a driver that I can mess with then the monster I tow now. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I wheel a lot less then if I could jsut throw my camping gear in an xj and hit the road.

see a part of me is opposed to swapping over to something "new"...this heep is my first car :D

glad you are ok.

simple curiosity: what trail?

It was a green trail... embarrassing I know. Pretty sure it was trail 'J'...I tried going one wheel up on a large rock for a poser shot out of boredom..oops

I can understand that... My 96 is my first car, I swore up till a month ago I'd take it to the grave. I discovered just how rusty it really is, mostly fixed it but its days are numbered. Already bought the replacement, I'll finish fixing the 96 and wheel it till it's dead then swap everything over.

And I was the guy staying away from big tires because they meant cutting sheetmetal in september...

AHHHHHHH! Not a gunmetal one! Good thing you're ok!

Back