• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear u joint geting trashed?

bassackwards

NAXJA Forum User
my rear u joint keep's going out. i have a 4" lift,no sye but do have 1in drop on trans. does anyone know the angles from the trans to the rear diff. I know i am hard in this thing but i just replaced one yester day that was in for 4 mounths. it keep's killing the cup's, when i pull them off nothing but dust inside ill try to get pic's up lator thanks for yalls help

on a 2 u-joint driveshaft (non CV) you want the pinion and output yoke to be parallel, then the pinion needs to go down 1-3deg to account for axle wrap.

are you buying the cheap autozone u-joints? stick to spicer.

also, do you have bad axle wrap out back? that might be killing them prematurely. whats your rear leaf pack like? stock + AAL? new HD? aftermarket?

Sounds like there's alot of friction and heat building up in the caps and burning up the grease, drying em out. Do you have vibes in the rear? Are the angles within a tolerable level? The most common culprit of worn driveshaft u-joints is pinion angle (vibes).

also, do you have bad axle wrap out back? that might be killing them prematurely.

This happened to me. Spit the stock shaft twice before figuring out the Rusty's laves were shot and W shaped. Hey, I was new to this at the time.

New leaf packs + SYE + CV shaft = One very expensive week!

I've been having this problem too much as well. I've got an SYE, Tom Woods shaft, and RE 3.5" leaf packs. Don't think I would have too much axle wrap because the leaves aren't even 2 years old, plus the pinion is pretty much exactly on line with the driveshaft. Gone through at least 3-4 precision u-joints from NAPA and even the good quality gold u-joint from Tom Woods. It just eats up the needle bearings completely. Am I just not greasing enough?

I've been having this problem too much as well. I've got an SYE, Tom Woods shaft, and RE 3.5" leaf packs. Don't think I would have too much axle wrap because the leaves aren't even 2 years old, plus the pinion is pretty much exactly on line with the driveshaft. Gone through at least 3-4 precision u-joints from NAPA and even the good quality gold u-joint from Tom Woods. It just eats up the needle bearings completely. Am I just not greasing enough?

I am running on 2 year old tom woods joints and i never grease em. My recent inspection showed me to be just fine, and finally greased em but needles were perfect. :dunno:

are you replacing the straps aswell? you wouldnt think it but those mounting straps are made to be one time use so they put the proper tension on the cups. too loose or too tight and you will loose the joints prematurely. also make sure to use the proper torque on the bolts (very important). the U-bolt style is a differant story however. you can re-use them, but its allways a good idea to get new ones as they too stretch when torqued. but in a pinch you can re-use them. strap style? replace EVERY time. and make sure you get the proper ones for the brand and size U-joint you are installing.

are you replacing the straps aswell? you wouldnt think it but those mounting straps are made to be one time use so they put the proper tension on the cups. too loose or too tight and you will loose the joints prematurely. also make sure to use the proper torque on the bolts (very important). the U-bolt style is a differant story however. you can re-use them, but its allways a good idea to get new ones as they too stretch when torqued. but in a pinch you can re-use them. strap style? replace EVERY time. and make sure you get the proper ones for the brand and size U-joint you are installing.

It's recommended but i've haven't replaced a u-joint strap in all the years of servicing my jeep shafts. No premature u-joint wear, no broken straps, no issues at all. Am i lucky? Talkin about it makes me wanna swap in new straps though....lol.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem, I got a 97 XJ it has about 5-6 inch lift not 100% sure, it is a 8.25 rear end and the u joint keeps slipping to one side and falling out and getting trashed! Is there a way to fix it with out replacing the rear yoke? :banghead:I get the U brackets as tight as I can.

I am having the same problem, I got a 97 XJ it has about 5-6 inch lift not 100% sure, it is a 8.25 rear end and the u joint keeps slipping to one side and falling out and getting trashed! Is there a way to fix it with out replacing the rear yoke? :banghead:I get the U brackets as tight as I can.

Nope,You need to replace the yoke.

Back