• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving Blind

I got a 2000 XJ; which may be irrelevent to my problem. My rear view mirror fell off! The Colorado sun made the glue flake and crack, and while I was on the trail hitting some bumps, boom! the thing landed in my lap.

Any good advice on how to fix it for cheap? any glue or apoxi meant for this kind of thing? Or am i going to have to take it into a windshield guy?

ive knocked my rear view mirror off couple times and the stuff I got at schucks worked fine every time.

they also have adhesive kits specific to our rearview mirror (which is the same as a ton of other vehicles). ive found it best to grap the one that includes that little replace piece that slides into the mouting arm of the mirror, that way its a new clean piece to apply adhesive to

1. Use a felt tip marker and mark the glass on the outside where the mount used to be.

2. Use a razor blade to clean the glass.

3. For best results hit the metal piece that goes onto the glass with a wire wheel to clean it up.

4. Follow directions on the adhesive, with particular attention to the temperature range that it works in.

I have at times used a two-part epoxy and that worked quite well.

Makes me wonder why they don't frost that one spot in the glass with hydrofluoric acid to make the glue stick better.

Mine fell off too, my solution is replacing the windshield since it was cracked anyways. I actually bought the glue for putting the mirror back up and then realized I was wasting my time.

they also have adhesive kits specific to our rearview mirror (which is the same as a ton of other vehicles). ive found it best to grap the one that includes that little replace piece that slides into the mouting arm of the mirror, that way its a new clean piece to apply adhesive to
Just make sure that the little replacement piece is compatible with your mirror. Not all are.

also don't press too hard when sticking it back on! remember the windshield isn't designed for pressure from that direction. my buddy cracked his windshield the other day when trying to put on his new mirror :wierd:

the fact that hes 6'5" 275 in an R32 may have had a little to do with it :D

Back