• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright tire options...

GFAndoscia

NAXJA Forum User
I just stumbled across a company called Treadwright, who obviously retread tire carcasses. They have an incredible reputation, a pretty good warranty, and offer tires such as their "GUARD DOG" which is a Goodyear Wrangler MT carcass with an almost identical tread mounted on it for 85$ instead of 215$.

I'm sold on the tires, but the problem I'm having is that this particular tread pattern, which is the on I want, isn't made for 15" rims. I'd have to buy 16X8" Cragars to mount them on. These tires would be 30.5X9.6". could I mount those on 16X8" rims safely? This is the first time I'm trying to step up to a larger tire size, and I don't have much knowledge in this particular department. Help?

I'm guessing you're looking at the 245/75/16 Guard Dog M/T? 245/75 and 16x8 wheels will work- that was one of the optional wheel offerings on some Wrangler TJs, and maybe the JKs (not sure on the steel wheel widths). It also lists the dimensions (both tire and wheel) right there under the description.

I loved my treadwrights. They were nice on the wallet and extremely easy to balance. I got the ones that looked like the dunlop mud rovers. They are loud as hell once they wear down though. The pros outweigh the cons by a lot though!

You'll have good luck with those.
I ran the treadwright at's, and I swear, they seemed huge, and worked great.
They were the 31x10.50r15.
I switched to the goodyear mt/r in 245/75/r16, and they're tiny in comparison.

Im going back to the treadwrights. They ride great, look great, and stick well.
(My jeep back when it was on d windows and 31's.)
hollister097.jpg

I'm running them too and love em.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/treadwright-guard-dog-mud-terrains-9531/

Keep in mind, most of the 16's listed (and this includes most manufactures) are E-load range tires. They are very stiff and are better suited for rigs that do alot of hauling/towing. I ran 16's in E flavor and disliked them. The size I got was 265/75/16 and it was offered in C-load range. This was what sold me on the tires because it's rare to find a C-load mud terrain in 16's.

If I were you, I'd just get the 31's and stay with 15's so you don't have to deal with E loads and buying new wheels.

You'll have good luck with those.
I ran the treadwright at's, and I swear, they seemed huge, and worked great.
They were the 31x10.50r15.
I switched to the goodyear mt/r in 245/75/r16, and they're tiny in comparison.

Im going back to the treadwrights. They ride great, look great, and stick well.
(My jeep back when it was on d windows and 31's.)
hollister097.jpg

Ive been following your build on JF, never knew you ran the treadwrights. what size do you plan on going with in the future?

Oh and Mastodon is one of the greatest band of all time, leviathan all the way!

They are the reincarnation of HiTech Retreads, right?

I have a set I bought used for my offroad teardrop camper. Wish they had them in the larger sizes.

What kind of larger sizes are you looking for? My 285/75r16s are approximately a 33x12.50. They were pretty short on 15" rim stuff when I ordered.

I run em, though I'll be the first to say I haven't had them offroad yet... damn jeep keeps breaking :smsoap: I have nearly run out of things to rust/break at this point and I keep replacing things with something stronger, so I think I should get a chance soonish.

FlexdXJ - you say they run loud when they wear down, how loud are we talking? They seem pretty quiet so far, though my last set of tires was BFG MTs and those make a racket on the highway so maybe I am just used to it now.

I currently run 35's and want to go to 37's

60anny,

These aren't the recaps "of yesteryear"

I ordered some myself so I could actually provide first hand experience with them. They
should be here tomorrow. In all of the reviews I have read, I haven't seen pictures nor
heard of a single blow out. However, it's just as possible as any other tire.

How do they hold up on the highway?

Well... I'm not sure how you drive, but I've done 100mph on mine without an issue. Only once, mind you, and I was holding onto the wheel for dear life, my jeep is simply not meant to go over about 80-85 at this point.

I've said I would never run retreads (worked in a Bandag shop), but these are very well done. I haven't seen any "zomg my retreads esploded" threads- basically just good reviews. I was impressed with the set I checked out- they look to be very well done, nice soft compound, but wearing very well, good fit, nice carcass, etc. Having gotten a first hand look, I would certainly consider a set for my junk.

old_man -- I had an email from them a couple weeks ago announcing upcoming 37" models, shoot them an email for details...

I run 285/75/16 "Guard Dogs", and have been pleased at the quality for the price. They did, however, exhibit substantial wear on the 700+ mile trip to Moab and back -- I was actually shocked how much tread was used. I have about 19k on them, and they are now at about 1/2 tread, so I guess I can't complain. They have been fine offroad, I don't air down beyond 13lbs, so no biggie. They stuck to slickrock like glue, and performed like the MTR's they mimic in rocks. As said, they have become pretty loud (although they have quieted a bit since the Moab trip and all that wear :dunno:) Also, the mold they use for the guard dogs is the MTR tread, but it is from a smaller version of the MTRs (like a 31") -- as a result, you get tighter tread voids and a more "AT" type tyre, with mud lugs, which is what I wanted since I DD my rig.

I will likely go back to a "first run" tire on my next set just for comparison purposes (looking at DuraTracs), but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up back with Treadwright...

Back