• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC recharge question

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 sport 4.0 auto and I tried to recharge the ac myself but the r134 connector didn't fit too well on the valve. Am I missing something? It was hard as hell to slip on then when I did get the plastic collar over the connector the r134 leaked out around the fitting

R-134a systems should be refilled by weight. I would recommend you get it evacuated, then properly filled.

Were you using one of those cheepo gauge\can combos from the parts house? The only way to even come close to doing it properly at home is with a dual gauge manifold set and vacuum pump.

If you know what you're doing and have the right tools, servicing your own AC is no big deal and requires no certification.

Problem is when using those DIY cans, you don't know how much is still left in the system so you don't know how much to add. The gauge on the can is a piece of junk and can easily lead you to overcharging the system. You have seen for yourself the quality if the fit.

Call around to a few shops. Ask about getting the system completely evacuated, vacuum pulled, the recharged.

Back