• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak help

H8D-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This picture is not of my jeep but im using it to show the part thats leaking on mine.

562a7f2e-1.jpg

My oil temp sensor sender is not the part that is leaking its the bolt or fitting that is screwed into the block that the temp sender screws into. Is there a gasket or o-ring there or do i just take it out clean it and put some sealant on it?? Its on a renix 90 cherokee 4x4. Any help would be awesome thanks.

pull the sending unit out/off, remove the oil pressure sender adapter(the block thing), coat the threads with teflon paste sealant stuff, and reinstall. my renix had the same problem. should be fine, provided the adapter isn't actually cracked. check to make sure that the sending unit itself isn't leaking, that's actually pretty common.

Remember that the oil pressure sending unit is a single wire sensor, so it must have a good ground through the threads of the sender as well as the adapter to the block. Use a thread sealer that is conductive.

K thanks guys! I'll do it on Tuesday. If the adapter is cracked is the dealer the only one who carries the replacement, my local parts place had no clue what I was talking about.

K thanks guys! I'll do it on Tuesday. If the adapter is cracked is the dealer the only one who carries the replacement, my local parts place had no clue what I was talking about.

Salvage yard item--quick, easy, cheap.

So I replaced the oil filter adapter, valve cover gasket, oil pressure sensor and the distributor gasket. Started her up and no leaks. Drove about 10 minute and when I stopped I saw the smoke around me lol. It's still leaking. Won't leak at idle, seems to be especially when I stop after driving or I guess while driving. What the he'll would still be leaking but not at idle when I first start her up.

hows the CCV system? did you cut some off the horns in the valve cover when you had it off? it might be pushing out from under the distributor if the ccv is clogged. my last oil leak was right above the distributor where the block and head come together. turns out the oil was splashing out the side once in awhile. looked like the sender. fixed the sender with some super copper rtv. changed o-rings. changed valve cover gasket. changed out the rear main and oil pan. still leaked like a stuck pig....but only once in awhile after a good run. so i changed the head gasket. now its dry as a bone. probably first time in 20 years

1. Oil filter--yes, even new they can have small leaks, especially the cheap ones.

2. Valve cover gasket.

3. Overfull/overheated auto trans can puke fluid out of the dipstick tube.

Get some Simple Green, cut it with water, use a cheap garden sprayer to hose that whole side of the engine, let sit 30 minutes, hose off with water.

Avoid getting water around the throttle body and TPS--the TPS really, really hates water.

Drive a couple minutes, stop and observe. Repeat until you spot the source.

The ccv systen is clear. I added a breather filter to the front vent and the back vent was clear in the line and not clogged. I didn't cut any off the horns while I was there. The leak did start after I made my own intake with an open filter and putting the breather on the front valve cover vent. I don't think it would cause a leak to happen though.

Well looks like it's a head gasket. It appeared as a distributor gasket to me at first but I really leaned over and looked between the distributor and block and the oil is leaking out from between the head/block. It just drains down right to the hole for the distributor so that's why it looked like the dizzy was leaking. Guess I'll be doing a head gasket, have no clue how the head gasket could one day not be leaking and the next leave a pool of oil under the car.
Well anybody have suggestions of other things to do while the heads off?

That is very common to leak oil in that area--no loss of compression, just a nuisance of a leak.

Might want to do a compression check before pulling the head. If the numbers are all good then don't bother doing a second test wet.

Have the head checked for flatness, check/replace the guides, replace the stem seals.

Your going to have it all apart, how about a WP, thermostat?

Back