• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small lift questions

redneck999

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj, this is becoming a almost daily driver and is stock, my problem is that empty it sits slightly lower in the back and when i put a couple of hundred pounds of teenagers and groceries or hook up the trailer for our four wheelers it squats. We dont go offroad and it spends its life on the highway and for camping, I dont want to lift it high I need more clearance and and no squat. What would be some recomendations for a lift,shackles and a add a leaf or junkyard an extra leaf? I have been looking at fat bobs garage and found a long and short aal. And downside to doing this considering my needs? I have 235's on it now and dont plan on going larger so lets hear the ideas!

Add-a-leafs are notoriously stiff-riding. That one leaf has to be stiff/strong enough to lift the whole works= rough ride. You can probably do better with a bastard pack, but that'll take some experimenting. Also, by the time you gather all the parts (u-bolts, clamps, center pin, shim, leaf packs, liners, bushings if necessary) you won't have saved that much.

Depending on your budget, I think you'd be happy with some 2" Old Man Emu heavy duty springs. They are supposed to ride well and can deal with towing and heavier loads. They don't come with bushings, so add about $60 to whatever price you find online.

Depending on the condition of your current hardware, you may need new u-bolts, etc. Also, you'll need to level out the front with poly spacers (no more than 2") or new springs. New shocks all around of the proper size. You can use stock take-offs from a JK Jeep for up to around 3" of lift. They are supposed to be much better than the cheapy white shocks, but will require you to remove stock bar pins and replace them with the ones on your Jeep. That's easy with a vice and basic tools.

Also, you might have better luck in the "Modified" forum.

I would go to a JY and pick up some S-10 springs. If you use ONLY the mains, you should, endup about 1.5" higher than you are now. If you do go with a AAL use a Long Style, shortys are really for heavier truck, AAL will be stiffer than the S-10 spring and will sag over time. If you have alot of sagging now longer shackles will make it worse, This would still be a better option to a AAL, IMO. New HD rear springs can be found at for about $100 each, Quadratec, ect.

I dont have much sagging right now but I dont want it worse. I dont know about lifting the front as I just want to go just over level in the rear, no major lift. I will check into the local yard for s10 springs, or another set of cherokee springs? Would that make a difference?

Depending on your budget, I think you'd be happy with some 2" Old Man Emu heavy duty springs. They are supposed to ride well and can deal with towing and heavier loads. They don't come with bushings, so add about $60 to whatever price you find online.

Depending on the condition of your current hardware, you may need new u-bolts, etc. Also, you'll need to level out the front with poly spacers (no more than 2") or new springs. New shocks all around of the proper size. You can use stock take-offs from a JK Jeep for up to around 3" of lift. They are supposed to be much better than the cheapy white shocks, but will require you to remove stock bar pins and replace them with the ones on your Jeep. That's easy with a vice and basic tools.

Also, you might have better luck in the "Modified" forum.
Don't go with the 2" heavy duty, I ended up with 3.5" while normally loaded when I installed those (not that I mind.) I'd go with 2" medium duty if you aren't trying to lift it, just hiking the back up a bit so you don't sag as much.

Back