• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Older tire leaking air

Kyle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have an older 33" tire that slowly leaks air, no nails or punctures. I'm getting tired if filling it every couple of days. Any solutions aside from a new tire?

it is prob not the tire, take it to a tire place and have them clean the corroded rim where the bead sits nad put a new valve in it

I've taken it to them 3 times still no luck, though cleaning the corrosion might be an idea idk if they have tried that yet.

Valve stems/mounting hole? I've been fighting leaks there since last year. Either rust or just cheap valve stems. Soapy water sprayed on the suspect areas should help you find it.

Like Hubs mentioned put dish soap in a large cup & mix it a bit & make sure the tire is filled... then pour it on the tire... if it's a slow leak give it a min. or two & a clump of bubbles will form... sometimes you can hear it if the leak is large enough... if it isn't noticeable then pour some on the valve stem or around the bead or rotate the tire a bit and repeat...once you've located it you can plug it if it's on the tread... or take it BACK to the tire shop...

Curt

the air we breath is 70% nitrogen... why would you want to fill it with nitrogen specifically?

do you know WHERE its leaking from? id dismount the wheel and clean up the rim. i take a wire wheel at low speed to mine on the inside of the rim where the bead would sit as i spin it once around the mounting machine. replace the valve stem and use that tire cement around the bead. works like champ for me. if it still leaks... throw that bitch in the fire and stop waisting your time trying to "make it work". even a spare needs to be reliable.

Last edited:
the air we breath is 70% nitrogen... why would you want to fill it with nitrogen specifically?

Nitrogen doesn't change it's volume with temperature as much as air does. So it's basically for people who are too lazy to seasonally check and adjust their tire pressure. Maybe even through the course of day, one tire in the sun the other in the shade, driving on the highway vs town, whatever. Maybe there is a GOOD reason to use it but I am not aware of it. I don't think it helps with leaks.

X2 on the soap water. Find the leak and take it from there. You can put it in a spray bottle to make it easier. If you want to get fancy, add a little glycerin to it, or just look up a recipe for bubble solution.

Any thoughts of filling with Nitrogen?

Do you air down to wheel ?? Wasting $$ if you use it & air down...
Some types of racing and such sure, but in something that might be aired down a few days after filling... pass.

Curt

As already stated,try Nitrogen,one of the reasons is that the nitrogen molecules are larger and wont permiate the rubber.
Other than that you just need a new tire,pony up!

As already stated,try Nitrogen,one of the reasons is that the nitrogen molecules are larger and wont permiate the rubber.
Other than that you just need a new tire,pony up!

Ya I know it is old but still has quite a bit of tread left. I was hoping this set would get me through this wheeling season.

If the leak is as slow as it sounds what about setting it in one of the little kiddie pools filled with water and you'll be able to see where it's coming from.

Have them put a tube in it. Problem solved.

Would dish soap show more then a dunk tank? I was under the impression they would both provide the same results.

It allows YOU to be in control... I'd also wet the tire first... I've seen guys dunk a tire & not give the tire the attention needed...
How long does the tire take to become low... a day... a week ??
Even if it has been a relatively small leak once the tire was wet & then the soapy water applied in a minute or two I'd have a golf ball size mound of small bubbles... SHOULD it be around the bead it'll foam/bubble there also... the stem might be a little tougher, but not too much...
I've probably plugged 20+ tires using this way to locate the leak...

Curt

I have a 35 inch ssr radial that leaks slowly at the bead. Im pretty sure it has some sand or a small pebble in there. My plan is to take of the tire, let all the air out and take my air gun and blow any debris out.

lets say that dosent work, can you really put a tube in any tire? mine say tubeless, but I think all radials say that. If you can do that, why dosent every offroader just run inner tubes>

It takes about 5 days to reach 13psi. I pulled it apart today to check and clean around the bead. Found nothing with the dish soap.

Back