• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for over the knuckle steerers

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
I am just about done with my own setup but to my surprise there is much contact of the tie rod with the coil springs and the track bar bracket at full lock (sway bar mounts have been hacked off). I was wondering if you all have this problem or is it just my combination of massive bars.

XJguy

1.25" is as big as you can go with the links and still have decent lock to lock steering. Even at that size, grinding of the coil buckets and trackbar bracket is necessary. The assumtion in all this is that you are talking about stock 30 knuckles.

Yep, stock knuckles. You think I should maybe add a bend to tie rod at the track bar side to offer more clearance, kinda like the stock setup? Mine is a T setup

XJguy

You havent shown us what you built,but if you put a bend in it,it will roll the bar up/down instead of turning the wheels!

RCP...I cant picture how the bar would roll instead of turning the wheels. The bend I am mentioning would be outward just enough so that there is less interference with the track bar mount.

Jump This, yes this is a home built 4130 steering setup....Ill post pics once its done....I over built it, probably break the whole axle housing and knuckles to pieces before this thing is ever damaged, which is fine this way it will be like new when I eventually move up to a stronger axle.

XJguy

Scratch that RCP....the more I thought about it the more I realized what you were saying. I am using 7/8" TRE so I think if there is any roll it would be minimum unlike if I were using spherical rod ends.

XJguy

XJguy said:
Scratch that RCP....the more I thought about it the more I realized what you were saying. I am using 7/8" TRE so I think if there is any roll it would be minimum unlike if I were using spherical rod ends.

XJguy

With an inverted T setup the tie rod will want to roll no matter what unless your draglink angle is nearly horizontal, even with the 7/8" TRE's. If you're using a 2233L at the passenger side knuckle like most (including me) do then the bend will be behind the draglink/tie rod connection. The bend in the tie rod shouldn't affect the steering's tendency to roll in any way. Does that make sense?

Raise the TB above the axle and you'll almost make full lock on each side with lots of trimming & relocating. If you pre-bend it then you'll have weakened the TR. I wouldn't do it.

BTW, I bent my 1.25 x .344 wall DOM TR while wheeling. Sure it took the whole weight of the vehicle on a 45* down grade & a rock to do it, but it is possible. It was a very minor bow actually. :)

Back