• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trail - June 26 - 30, 2010

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to make a new post now that this is actually happening so we can get a good head count and to make it a little easier to find the information.

This will also be a good place to start planning the details of what you will need equipment wise and any other details.

The Plan
The plan is to camp saturday night at Big Silver Group Campground and be on the trail Sunday - Tuesday, we will take our time allowing for us to explore around the trail.
It will then be up to the rest of us if we want to run another trail after the Rubicon or not. (a few have to be back in SoCal on Wednesday.)

Camping
Ocean_jet has reserved Big Silver Group Campground for the night of June 26th.

It's got 10 individual camp spots. Can hold 12 vehicles and up to 50 people... should be plenty big. As far as I can tell, it does not require Friday night stay. Vault toilets, but no running water. About 15 miles from trail head.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/doc..._bigsilver.pdf
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Bi...ex=CampingSpot

Equipment
  • When on the trail we will have to pack out everything, so plan for some wag bags or some kind of toilet.
  • Proper Spare tire
  • 31" tires, 33" Recommended
  • at least 1 locker, F & R recommended
  • Skid plates
  • Recovery gear and tools
  • Spare Parts

I am sure there is a lot more information that i missed.

Head Count
1. WebDog - Max
etc...

Head Count
1. WebDog - Max
2. Bhicks-Brad & Co-pilot (James)
3. Vince- Can be our trail guide if needed.
etc...

We are gonna want to get ourselves organized. We don't want to double/triple pack everything. We don't all need to bring EVERYTHING for camping. I know for me personally I want my rig as light as possible for the drive up and back so if we can each sign up to bring certain necesary items to lower our overall weights that would be much better. For example: One or two guys bring big ice chests instead of everyone bringing big heavy icechests. One guy can carry fire wood instead of everyone, one guy can bring a trail bar-b-que, etc.

Last edited:
are you running the whole trail or just a part? i don't want to roll my rig or need to be towed out! LOL!

We are running the whole trail, but we are going to take out time. leaving us time for some hiking and exploring.

When we are on the technical parts someone will be spotting.

What are the specs of your rig?

What time are people planning on ariving?

I plan to leave around 8:00 am from the IE. That would get me to the campsite around 5:00 pm. Should be enough time to set up camp and make diner before it gets dark. I am not set on 8:00 am. If guys want to leave earlier then that would be fine.

We are running the whole trail, but we are going to take out time. leaving us time for some hiking and exploring.
QUOTE]

Don't forget fishing. I will be bringing my float tube, gear, and also a collapsable 2 man canoe. I plan to fish as many spots as possible.

I have the SoCal Chapter's PETT toilet system, with carrying pack and enclosure. I'm in Bakersfield, so I'm sure we can coordinate someone picking it up on the way up there. You'll need to buy a box or two of WAG bags.

I have the SoCal Chapter's PETT toilet system, with carrying pack and enclosure. I'm in Bakersfield, so I'm sure we can coordinate someone picking it up on the way up there. You'll need to buy a box or two of WAG bags.
That sounds like it might be a good idea, Richard. I'm riding in OceanJet (Mike Foster's) rig, and he's debating bailing out of town either Friday eve or really early Saturday, since he loves the campground area (and I've never been there and it sounds nice!). So I don't know that I'd volunteer to pick it up based on when we'd pass thru Bfield. But someone should be able to!!

Head Count
1. WebDog - Max
4.-96JS- Ted.
5. Ocean_Jet (Mike Foster) w/ Carol riding b!tch. Mike's dog (female fixed).
etc...

So you guys are heading up after the jeepers jamboree run, dang, I should have planned for that earlier. Have fun guys!

How big is the pett system? I have a pickup truck, and might be able to pick it up. I will be leaving Very early saturday morning/

It's back pack size. In fact, the carrying bag is a back pack. I'm close to the freeway, and I'm sure I would be up anytime any of you passed through Bakersfield. Someone just needs to buy a box or two of WAG bags.

http://www.rei.com/product/662978

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11129

Here is the PETT toilet system we have:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2739&deptid=1004

Just got word from a member up in the area. Says there is snow on the trees and that it may be muddy if it hasnt dried up by the time we get there. Hope it does.

count me in!

I think Ryan's got a bit in Encinitas, and maybe someone in Escondido...

Head Count
1. WebDog - Max
4.-96JS- Ted.
5. Ocean_Jet (Mike Foster) w/ Carol riding b!tch. Mike's dog (female fixed).
6. Boostamante-Julio

Back