• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TURBO 400 HELP!!!

rogiii

NAXJA Forum User
seems 2nd gear band isn't holding in especially going down hill.Also have another 400 thate I don't no history on. Hoping there some Trans Guys out there to help out.
looking to teardown, inspect, and build 1 unit out of the 2 more interested in learning then letting the shop do it.
Have a garage in fullerton and a barn with a clean shop inside across the street from chino airport can do work at both locations.

Roger 714 213-5090 call anytime

Step one is to go to the book store and buy a book on the trans
Step two is read said book and decide if its something you really want to do

Trans work can be fun but more often then not its a lot of fussing and cussing. Also some transmissions require special tools that are costly I'm not real familiar with the turbo 400 myself so I really can't help ya on that part

The TH400 and TH350 really aren't that hard to rebuild. There's 3 clutch packs inside that all come out in order, then separate and install new clutches/bands, reinstall in sequence. Get the book, read it and decide if it's for you. Autos really aren't all that bad. (older ones, some of the new ones I wouldn't touch with a 20 ft pole)

I'll echo what dweezel said, the 400 and 350 are very similar. lay everything out in the order it comes out so you can keep track of what order parts go back into the trans, and it helps quite a bit to have a diagram and instructions sitting there.

Don't put the check balls back in the wrong holes if you take the valve body apart :gee:

It's not too hard to rebuild a T400 if you have the right snap ring pliers and there's a tool for aligning some of the parts for reassembly but it can be done without one.

Are you saying all I need are these 2 special tools ? and do I need origonal chevy service manuel are is there another book I should get that will make the job easier ?

Thanks Guys

Try and find a specific rebuild manual for the tranny. I've got a few from haynes and they are fairly pedestrian but they are a lot less expensive. try and get a mitchell those are very complete and have good illistrations but you will pay for it.

Back