• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A C Compressor

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
My bearing on my ac has went bad making all kinds of noise. I Used to drive lifted suzukis so had to pull the ac out if you wanted some extra power. Do cherokee's with out ac just have a shorter belt or do they have an extra Ideler pully. Dont have the cash to replace the ac now

You need an extra idler pulley. Be warned though, they are very rare for the 4.0

Year/engine info is always helpful.

You could replace the compressor with a junkyard one and not turn it on. OBA is in your future!

ALWAYS post the bare a** minimums--year, engine, etc.--pretend you are the only one that knows what in the H*ll you are driving, it will make it easier for you.

I believe the dealer sells a set of parts for the 97+ for an AC delete. Not too sure on that though. My compressor just seized up last week so I replaced it with an ebay one for $50 shipped.

May have to check Ebay then $50.00 sounds better then $200. at the parts store. Also did you carge the system yourself if not what did it cost.

Well mine wasn't working in the first place so I didn't bother refilling it. When I have the extra cash, I'll fix the luxury.

I think you may be out of luck. The Renix and I think 97+ are screwed as far as aftermarket, you have to grab the factory setup from a non-a/c cherokee.

All the listings I have found for a/c bypass pulleys run 91-96 only.

I recall reading somewhere (I'll keep looking), about someone with got one of those bypass pulleys to work on his late model XJ. I think he only needed widen the holes.

But we Renix guys are SOL.

I have a 99' that the compressor siezed on. Just to get it up and running again (on the side of the damn freeway, THAT was exciting) I pulled the compressor out of my 94 and put it on. It does bolt up and will work in a pinch, the pully is slightly larger, and the lines won't hook up but it worked for me through the winter till this week when I fixed it. You just need to run the adjuster down a bit further so the belt will slide over it.

Do you have to fill the compressor with oil. Does any one know the syeps for putting on a new comp
If you don't want to use it, you won't have to fill it with oil. The pulley is an idler pulley when the clutch is not energized. Just pull the fuse or keep the connectors disconnected. Now if you want to use it, I'd suggest bringing it to a shop to get it done. Or spend $300 on a kit to do it yourself.

Pulling the compressor is easy. It's 4 bolts on top of the compressor holding it down. Take a brass drift, and hit each top of the bolt with a deadblow a couple of times. Then spray some penetrating lubricant on them. I prefer PB blaster but I used Liquid Wrench and it worked fine. While you're at it, spray the idler pulley bolt as well as the idler pulley adjuster. Let it sit for a bit. The idler pulley bolt and adjustment both requires a 15mm box end wrench and socket wrench respectively. The compressor bolts are smaller. I wanna say 11 or 10mm. Loosen the pulley, and adjust it all the way out. Remove the belt. Take off the 4 bolts on the compressor. Then take the one bolt off on top where the lines are. Installation is reverse. While you have the belt off, replace that too.

My local mechanic had a comp laying arond out of a 99. He told me I could have it for free if I want I would then be able to pull the pully off and put it on mine or he will put the comp on and recharge for about $150 to $200 seems like a good deal once again no charge for the comp.

My main question is how hard is it toget the pully off do you need special tools and can it be done still bolted to the engine please help need to know by thursday is the next day he can get it in. If I try to wait how do the pully bearings fail will it lock up or just grind a bit.

If you don't want to use it, you won't have to fill it with oil. The pulley is an idler pulley when the clutch is not energized. Just pull the fuse or keep the connectors disconnected. Now if you want to use it, I'd suggest bringing it to a shop to get it done. Or spend $300 on a kit to do it yourself.

Yup..by the time you get all the stuff (gauge set, vacuum pump, couple cans of R134a and a bottle of oil) you're in the $225-300 mark. But the way I look at it is the gauge set and the pump will last you a long time...and you can quickly make some money on the side recharging your friend's AC's..with regular freon can's roughly $10 a piece and bottles of oil under $10. :)

A new compressor will come with some oil in it as they are tested at the factory before being shipped out. You'll be given a spec sheet with the new compressor that tells the total amount of oil it needs. Since no compressors come with an exact amount of oil from testing, what you'll have to do is drain the oil out of the new compressor and basically start from empty. You can re-use this oil...draining it out is just so that you know how much was in there, and how much more you need to add from the bottle you purchased.

My local mechanic had a comp laying arond out of a 99. He told me I could have it for free if I want I would then be able to pull the pully off and put it on mine or he will put the comp on and recharge for about $150 to $200 seems like a good deal once again no charge for the comp.

My main question is how hard is it toget the pully off do you need special tools and can it be done still bolted to the engine please help need to know by thursday is the next day he can get it in. If I try to wait how do the pully bearings fail will it lock up or just grind a bit.
I pulled apart the compressor with ease. But there's quite a bit of components in there, mainly the Torrington bearings, snap rings, and washers. I personally managed to get the pulley setup off, which is really all you need. It's just those 6 bolts, I believe, behind the pulley. It needs a 10mm wrench. Get those off and just carefully lift out the pulley assembly. A torrington bearing sits between the actual compressor and the pulley assembly.

If you drive your XJ daily, it'll probably last a week. If you smell burning then you know you're at the end of the line.

So to take the pully off you take the one nut off the front and does it slide off easy and what steps come after that.

do you need any special tools or basic hand tools will work

would like to do this my self if it could save me alot of coin

wobble plate engines:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashplate_engine

the compressor is actually a pretty nifty design
That's pretty neat. I was looking at the insides and was wondering why it was at an angle
So to take the pully off you take the one nut off the front and does it slide off easy and what steps come after that.

do you need any special tools or basic hand tools will work

would like to do this my self if it could save me alot of coin
You don't need special tools. The tools I mentioned are all you need. You can't take the pulley off. I've tried. It would be easier to take the pulley assembly off.

Well now i may be screwed it is making alot more noise today think I am running out of time. How do you take the pully assembly off I can not find any info on this

Back