• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary day- IAC came unplugged, fuel filter job

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to replace my fuel filter today. Wasn't comfortable doing it in the road, so I was going to drive to a small parking lot near a park.

Started it up- ran like garbage. Staggering idle around 1k, tried to rev it to even it up, pedal had almost no effect on RPMs. Got scared and cut it off.

Checked to oil, way down. It was parked on the street, sloping down to the driver's side. Oil level was before the word "ADD". I got scared that the crappy running was due to low oil.

Then I looked around under the hood and noticed the rubber plug that fits into the throttle had come undone somehow. Plugged it in, ran fine.

Got to the parking lot and found out those damn rubber hoses can hold a lot of fuel. After maybe 20 minutes of laying in a gas puddle it was done. Seems to run smoother and maybe a little peppier.

Also noticed one of the bolts holding the diff cover on the D35 was out and slightly leaking fluid as a result. Job for another day I think.

Will a little rtv around the outside of that rubber IAC grommet be ok to hold it in place?

Haven't noticed any bad oil leaks, maybe it's burning it. I would guess I'm down 1 quart after 1.5k on a new change.
Any guesses why?

Sometimes this wrenching crap gets old. Especially without a comfortable safe place to work...

Seventeen years of production. Eight different engines. Maybe you could tell us what year/engine, any other pertinent information?

Have you changed oil viscosity? Consumption is higher with lower viscosity oils. Also, check your air filter for oil--if you haven't serviced the CCV system (a**uming 4.0, you didn't happen to mention the engine) you could be blowing oil into the air filter.

The last time I saw an "official" SAE document on a gas automotive engine oil consumption I believe it was 1/2 quart per 500 miles, after engine break in. That is based on my memory of about 30 years ago.

I don't remember a rubber plug on the IAC, again I am a**uming a 4.0 because the actual engine wasn't stated. Do you mean the plug and vacuum line that runs between the throttle body and the MAP sensor? Is yes, then you could use a little RTV.

That's not THAT low, it's not going to cause damage within 1500 miles.

Are you sure it was really full of oil to begin with? Did you change it yourself? Usually when I change my oil I fill it up, drive it around, then have to add another quart or so pretty much immediately. The oil filter holds a good amount thanks to the anti-flowback valve. If you brought it to Jiffy Lube or something, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even bother to check if it was full.

'88 4.0 159k on it. Last oil change was 1.5k ago - Pennzoil high mileage 10w30. New air filter, cleaned/refreshed CCV at same time. I'll check the air filter for oil.

New valve cover gasket-no leaks. Could be leaking a little oil (maybe coolant/grime mixed) at the head seam above the oil filter. I hope it isn't leaking as I think that would be the head gasket. I'll clean up the area better and see what happens.

You're right, that rubber plug that came loose is for the MAP, my mistake. I'll RTV it ASAP.

That's not THAT low, it's not going to cause damage within 1500 miles.

Are you sure it was really full of oil to begin with? Did you change it yourself? Usually when I change my oil I fill it up, drive it around, then have to add another quart or so pretty much immediately. The oil filter holds a good amount thanks to the anti-flowback valve. If you brought it to Jiffy Lube or something, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even bother to check if it was full.

I did it myself. Did not run it and re-check. It took about 6 qts, so I assumed it was all set. So I guess there is a chance it settled in and since I didn't bother to check it again 'till now, had no idea.

Back