• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what part of the injector is leaking?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My injectors are elaking and alot. It's only the first three on the rail but they all are getting replaced. However I'm not sure if the o-rings are leaking or where the plastic and metal parts connect on injector. So the area in yellow is where the fuel is leaking. The injectors are original with 196k on them and probably could be replaced buyt not sure if I can get 250.00 to get the ford 198lb-ers. Is this the o-rings? TIA

injectorleak.jpg

also if I was to replace the injectors is there any reason not to get used ones from a mustang? They can be had pretty cheaply on ebay. Although new ones aren't horribly expensive either buying used would be eaiser on the bank account.

1) If they're RENIX (1984-1990 w/AMC engine,) five gets you ten that you didn't circle the leak. RENIX injectors have a metal lower half and a plastic upper half, and they're crimped together. Vibration loosens the crimp over time, which is what leaks. Most other Bosch injectors use two plastic housings that are ultrasonically welded together, so there's nothing to loosen.

2) None that I can think of - it's a common replacement.

5-90

well it is possible that fuel could have been coming from the injectors themselves but there was fuel coming from the area, watched it while it was running.

Good question. Where is the best price on injectors for the Renix engines. My dads 90 has a couple leaking where the plastic/metal meet.

ebay as far as I found. Maybe a pick and pul junkyard. I'm checking localy for anyone that chaged theirs out of a msutang as it's probably a common mods to upgrade those for their v-8's.

I got mine from five-o motorsports, complete set. A stuck open injector is what took out my original engines number 3 cylinder so I figured replacing all 6 was cheap insurance on the jasper reman I put in..

I've checked them but 225 is expensive, although cheaper then the dealer stuff.

I was wrong on the leak location, the fuel is pouring out of the top of the injector by where it connects to the fuel rail and above the electrical conection. There are orings on the top and bottom so I'm going to try replacing them first as they are only 13 bucks.

Weasel said:
I've checked them but 225 is expensive, although cheaper then the dealer stuff.

I was wrong on the leak location, the fuel is pouring out of the top of the injector by where it connects to the fuel rail and above the electrical conection. There are orings on the top and bottom so I'm going to try replacing them first as they are only 13 bucks.

Do them all, not just the one, it's not worth risking a fire... you have been lucky to have caught it...

My injectors started to leak on my 91 and I just replaced the o rings on them and they are fine now.

However, the real reason I am nosing into this thread is I hear talk about putting 19lb injectors from a Mustang on a 4.0L? I never thought of this. I just upgraded my 19lb injectors to 30lb injectors on my Mustang, so I have 19lb injectors laying around. So the Mustang injectors are better than what is on the Jeep now?

Probably. At least they won't start leaking, if you have RENIX (which is a worry!)

OEM AMC242 injectors are in the 18-19# range already, but the later Ford 302 and SBChevvy injectors offer a better spray pattern (if your old Mustang injectors have four spray holes rather than just one, that's good!) which will increase fuel efficiency slightly.

5-90

RichP said:
Do them all, not just the one, it's not worth risking a fire... you have been lucky to have caught it...

Yeah thats what I meant. The o-ring kit was 14 dollars and I replaced all of them. Seems to have fixed the leaks and looks like the tops ones were shot and leaking. However when putting them back together the little metal clips didn't go on real well. They are on there but didn't really snap on like it seems they should.

Will do the new injectors someday, if this works that will be fine.

Weasel said:
Yeah thats what I meant. The o-ring kit was 14 dollars and I replaced all of them. Seems to have fixed the leaks and looks like the tops ones were shot and leaking. However when putting them back together the little metal clips didn't go on real well. They are on there but didn't really snap on like it seems they should.

Will do the new injectors someday, if this works that will be fine.

They don't really "snap" - or even "click." I've had those off a few times now, and all they do is "settle" into place. There's just not enough of a detent for them to make any noise.

Hell, as long as they stay where I put them (they have so far,) I don't care. More retention is done by the fuel rail screws than the clips anyhow - the clips are mostly there to keep the injectors from coming loose while you set the rail in place. Once it's screwed down, you're good.

5-90

I changed my O rings, no more leaks.

Back