• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you tell what rear end is in an XJ by VIN number?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a nice 95 XJ 4.0, auto trans, about four hours away from me. The guy doesn't know if it has ABS or not and can't tell the difference between rear ends.

It's a a basic Sport or SE model, manual windows/locks, etc.

Flat spot on the bottom of the diff cover will be an 8.25.

Do you know how to recognize ABS?Its really easy!

Flat spot on the bottom of the diff cover will be an 8.25.

I think he needs to tell the guy over the phone what to look for.

If it has ABS, then the rear is a D35.

You can look for the flat spot as noted above, or my favorite is the "RHINO" nose of the 8.25--the humps over the pinion on the nose of the diff housing.

When he turns the key on prior to engine start does an ABS light come on?

No light, no ABS, right? Unless of course it was disabled.

If the light comes on, it has ABS.

When he turns the key on prior to engine start does an ABS light come on?

No light, no ABS, right? Unless of course it was disabled.

If the light comes on, it has ABS.

wrong, my abs is disabled because i swapped my rear end and just took out the fuse to the abs pump. when it is disabled the light stays on all the time, it also stays on all the time if you swap a 8.25 for a D35 LOL

We're talking about stock XJs here... a swapped rear end doesn't really apply.

It does not appear that the VIN contains the info you are looking for: http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tech_vinxj.htm or http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/jeep_vin.htm

However, I have heard if you take the VIN to your Jeep dealer they can print out a build sheet for the Cherokee. Unknown to me if true but a phone call might answer that question.

email jeep from their website with the VIN and they will send you an email back with the build sheet in a day or so.

doug

We're talking about stock XJs here... a swapped rear end doesn't really apply.

Are we? The current owner sounds XJ-illiterate, and its a 15 year old XJ, no telling what some perverse NAXJA user could have done to it. :scared:

Back